Illinois...

@Junibutt
Poor little chick. You did the right thing by isolating her so she may recover without bullying. I'm not sure of how to treat or even if chickens can get stitches. I did have a young chick with a gash on it's back. I applied Vetericyn spray several times a day, but since it was a broody's chick, I left it with mama. (Chick got too stressed.) The wound eventually made a nice scab & then feathered in normally. I was worried I'd have to put it down. Now I'm both surprised & happy about the outcome.

I was more hopeful earlier in the day because she was eating drinking and playing but now she has stopped eating and drinking. Will force feed her some electrolytes and yogurt/scrambled egg paste. Will see how it goes. Chicks can surprise you. The Jubilee chick whose wing got clipped in the incubator fan recovered without any issues. Apart from couple of primary feathers missing he is indistinguishable from other chicks.

2 of my 7 week old chicks scalped a 5 week old orp yesterday.

Brought her inside to protect from flies.
Applied Neosporin (which I believe I shouldn't have since there is no skin). What can I do for her? I heard mixture of sugar and turmeric is good for healing. Any other suggestions? She doesn't seem too uncomfortable at this time and is eating and drinking. Hoping she survives especially since its a mystery chick, possibly from a choc laced project.

View attachment 1089491
That is ugly. I would get some Blue-kote, F&F has it.

Sold some of my lav orp hens (Marshmallow & Muppet) to a 4H kid from Iowa. I really need to get the numbers down by winter, but I already miss them. My family will miss the eggs, but the March 4th pullets will be starting up very soon. I may have gotten an egg from my blue orp Jewel. It looked just like one of Oopsie's eggs, but Oopsie is currently broody.

The big news is that DS's pullet Chizzy just laid her 1st egg. It's so cute!
Here it is next to an orp egg.
chizzy's 1st egg.JPG

Just some eye candy!
Yes, she's really pretty.
I have to get you some updated pics of the chicks I hatched from you. Each one is amazing. I also can't believe how many females I got. (One of the blk/lav splits that I thought might be male looks female now.) So that brings me to 2 males & 6 females from you. I hatched some of my own eggs in that batch. If I count them, I got 3 males & 10 females. CRAZY! The only thing I can come up with is that perhaps all the eggs that didn't hatch & the 2 that died could have been male.

The DuPage county fair went well. DS was happy to share his Cloverbud project. DD had fun dancing for the talent show. In 4-H she earned 2 red ribbons, 17 blue ribbons, 8 Class Champions, 1 reserve (alternate for state), and 3 Best in Shows. We did not enter any live animals but we may consider it next year. We spent some time talking with the others in the poultry/rabbit area. Great bunch of people.

I'll post some pics when I can.

Below are some of my current babies.

BTW- The silver laced orps are my favs, so forgive the extra pics of them.
I have 1 male:

silver laced male.jpg

Don't you just love his grumpy little face!?!

IMG_3264 copy.jpg

Here's the female silver laced orp.
silver laced female.jpg
Both side by side:
IMG_3270 copy.jpg
IMG_3273 copy.jpg

Here's the blue buff Colombian orp: Very friendly girl & one of the biggest

IMG_3279 copy.jpg

Blue laced orp female:
Not sure what she should look like. Perhaps she's a blue laced splash.
IMG_3287 copy.jpg

Blue Laced orp male:
IMG_3288 copy.jpg

Gold Laced Orp female (with the blue laced male on right)
IMG_3284 copy.jpg

Here are the 2 blk/lav split orps. Both look female now.
IMG_3285 copy.jpg
IMG_3290 copy.jpg

Here's a lav orp from my birds. I'm planning to keep her.

IMG_3277 copy.jpg

I have 3 female choc cuckoo orp females at the moment. We simply call them all "Baby Bricks." They look & act so much like their daddy but slightly bigger since the moms were from my giant birds.
IMG_3281 copy.jpg

Oops. I forgot the blk/lav split from my birds. She's not staying but very sweet. Always one of the 1st to jump up for cuddles. I'm hoping to find her a good home where she'll get her daily loving. This girl, the lav, & 2 of the choc cuckoos are 2 weeks older than the rest. Cookie adopted all of them
IMG_3255.JPG

Very cute @Faraday40.

Well we are having another round of crappy. Popcorn one of our khaki campbells has suddenly gone lame. One day he was fine, the next he cant stand. Me and Husband both have spent a lot of time researching and are giving him flushing water, and tylan 50. I hate that its about all we can do. He is still eating and drinking. Just cant seem to stand. We put him in water and he flops to the side, but can move both feet. All other ducks are fine. Doing their duck thing. We hope that he recovers but arent optimistic.

On a less crappy note, man Licorice is a prolific layer. We get an egg from her about 5 days a week now that she has gotten the hang of it! We have also had 3 double yolker eggs in the brown range. Not sure if all one chicken or what at this point... But it looks like Meringue and Olive are getting close to joining the others in laying. And Ms Cinnamon our orp has started to egg squat at the age of like 27 weeks. Shes late to the game.

Below are some of my current babies.

BTW- The silver laced orps are my favs, so forgive the extra pics of them.
I have 1 male:

View attachment 1096655

Don't you just love his grumpy little face!?!

View attachment 1096656

Here's the female silver laced orp.View attachment 1096654 Both side by side:
View attachment 1096658 View attachment 1096659
Here's the blue buff Colombian orp: Very friendly girl & one of the biggest

View attachment 1096660

Blue laced orp female:
Not sure what she should look like. Perhaps she's a blue laced splash.
View attachment 1096662
Blue Laced orp male:
View attachment 1096663
Gold Laced Orp female (with the blue laced male on right)
View attachment 1096661

Here are the 2 blk/lav split orps. Both look female now.
View attachment 1096682 View attachment 1096683

Here's a lav orp from my birds. I'm planning to keep her.

View attachment 1096686
I have 3 female choc cuckoo orp females at the moment. We simply call them all "Baby Bricks." They look & act so much like their daddy but slightly bigger since the moms were from my giant birds.
View attachment 1096687

The silver laced are gorgeous. They already have great lacing. Blue laced lacing may get better after the molt otherwise it may be an incomplete project.

Very cute @Faraday40.

Well we are having another round of crappy. Popcorn one of our khaki campbells has suddenly gone lame. One day he was fine, the next he cant stand. Me and Husband both have spent a lot of time researching and are giving him flushing water, and tylan 50. I hate that its about all we can do. He is still eating and drinking. Just cant seem to stand. We put him in water and he flops to the side, but can move both feet. All other ducks are fine. Doing their duck thing. We hope that he recovers but arent optimistic.

On a less crappy note, man Licorice is a prolific layer. We get an egg from her about 5 days a week now that she has gotten the hang of it! We have also had 3 double yolker eggs in the brown range. Not sure if all one chicken or what at this point... But it looks like Meringue and Olive are getting close to joining the others in laying. And Ms Cinnamon our orp has started to egg squat at the age of like 27 weeks. Shes late to the game.

Is Popcorn doing any better today?

Glad you're at least getting some good news from your layers. The hope of finding eggs makes me look forward to going out to do the chores every morning. Then I return late morning.....noon.....afternoon treat time....etc. to check on them. LOL My blue orp, welsummer, & spec sussex are all red & probably laying. I just haven't been able to verify how often.

Back
Top Bottom