Illinois...

I suppose I should note that DD was at first going to be an elf - carrying her brother's bow. (This was her costume a few years ago.) It would have been cute with DS's costume, but they're always changing ideas with every party.
IMG_3972.JPG IMG_3915.JPG

Anyone want to play guess the genders?
They turn 6 weeks old tomorrow. Normally they'd be sexable by now, but this batch has very small combs..... but all have wattles.

2 co-broody hens walking their babies to bed.
IMG_5251.jpg

Lining up on the roost we have:
Purple, blue, pink, green, teal blue, white, & black.

None look 100% male yet. I think my best chances for males are: Purple, blue, & teal.
Anyone agree or disagree?
(I sold 8 immediately at hatch. Then I needed a new lav orp roo, so I kept these 7 to grow out the best male. I sure hope at least one is male!)
IMG_5254.jpg

IMG_5257.jpg
IMG_5258.jpg
IMG_5262.jpg
IMG_5263.jpg
IMG_5267.jpg
IMG_5268.jpg
IMG_5272.jpg

Here's how my male lavs normally look at 6 weeks:

Here's a 6wk old female lav split:

Could the cold temps be delaying development?

Maybe you struck ALL pullets........ Just as you were looking to get a cockerel. :wee

That's exactly what I'm nervous about!

If it does happen, I guess I could call around to the people who bought my chicks & work out a trade. (Due to biosecurity, I really don't like bringing birds here....unless they're for the pot.)

Frost is coming, so I took care of my potted flowers.:) What is left is my HUGE potted Cannas.
View attachment 1174995
The pot is a 36 inch or somewhere in the ballpark. I decided to container grow these since cannas will not winter over in our zone 5 climate. My intention (I always look for the easiest way out) is to let frost stop the progress. I will cut back the expired foliage and store pot in the utility room over winter.
Read this article. https://www.almanac.com/plant/cannas

These plants can be left in the ground in zone 7 to 10. Zone 7 means short periods of cold down to 0 F. Most likely the plants there have to be under a nice blanket of mulch. In my utility room temps are not likely to drop below 32F. I feel safe.
If anyone else near here keeps these, please chime in with your suggestions. I am always in a learning mood. :)
I've never had luck with leaving these in the ground, but I think if you keep the pot protected you'll have good results!

New ADDITION.... No........ grandchild still some time to arrive..
IMG_20171105_145221149.jpg

Has been hanging around for some time. On and Off. Now On all the time. Of course I feed him. Gets along with the rest of the feline family here. I know , is ether a feral or abandoned/lost. Caveman has soft side so .... can stay.:hugs Meows when he sees DW or ME. That indicates, he is comfortable with us.:) I do not know if he or she, just using to describe. Named BT = Big Tiger. I already have a Tiger, but smaller in size from this one.

Welcome to our thread. :welcome
What kind of chickens do you keep???? Post some pix to share..
My beautiful Maisy. I only have two at the moment both Rhode Island reds, there was 3 but one was a male, and living in the suburbs with very close neighbors once he started crowing he had to go. We had terrible flooding earlier this year and they had wandered into the yard they looked only a few weeks old. We couldn't locate the owners, since technically they are not allowed as pets in my area no one would claim them. So they became part of my family.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171106-104530.png
    Screenshot_20171106-104530.png
    3 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom