Illinois...

Finally got all of my raised beds filled. The old ones needed to be topped off and the new ones had to be filled completely. Should be ready to plant this weekend if I can manage to fit it in between swim practice a track meet Saturday and a meet on Sunday. And now I want to plant broccoli after reading up here.

My TSC has been out of PDZs for a few weeks so I found it on Chewy for not a terrible price. Ordered a ton of it. Showed up and it's the powder not the granuals. 🤪 I didn't even realize it came in powder. It's so light and dusty and making me crazy and I'd send it back but I can't even get the good stuff right now. So instead I bought some sand and mixed it together. Seems a bit better but I definitely won't make that mistake again!

My stinking 7 month old OE is still broody!!!! Her and the Americauna have been in and out of it but she's the worst. Been tucking ice packs under her today in hopes of breaking her. Again. They are both so sweet normally but OMG they are little velociraptors when they want to make babies. I was out there explaining that they are too young to be mamas and there's no boys here anyway so just enjoy their youth. LOL!!!
Too young? Tell that to my 8 mo old new serama mama.Lol!
20210514_192153.jpg

Her smallest baby weighs a whopping 14 grams!
20210515_123906.jpg

Now the lack of boys may be a problem....

Finally got all of my raised beds filled. The old ones needed to be topped off and the new ones had to be filled completely. Should be ready to plant this weekend if I can manage to fit it in between swim practice a track meet Saturday and a meet on Sunday. And now I want to plant broccoli after reading up here.

My TSC has been out of PDZs for a few weeks so I found it on Chewy for not a terrible price. Ordered a ton of it. Showed up and it's the powder not the granuals. 🤪 I didn't even realize it came in powder. It's so light and dusty and making me crazy and I'd send it back but I can't even get the good stuff right now. So instead I bought some sand and mixed it together. Seems a bit better but I definitely won't make that mistake again!

My stinking 7 month old OE is still broody!!!! Her and the Americauna have been in and out of it but she's the worst. Been tucking ice packs under her today in hopes of breaking her. Again. They are both so sweet normally but OMG they are little velociraptors when they want to make babies. I was out there explaining that they are too young to be mamas and there's no boys here anyway so just enjoy their youth. LOL!!!
Too young? Tell that to my 8 mo old new serama mama.Lol!View attachment 2671256
Her smallest baby weighs a whopping 14 grams!
View attachment 2671258
Now the lack of boys may be a problem....

1621118973302.png

@homeschoolin momma
:love Love that little brown one. Can't wait to see what it looks like in a couple months.
Any news from the incubator eggs???

BTW- Your ducklings have become very popular with the neighborhood kids. They go on outings to the little nearby park. They will be well socialized by the time they return. When not at the park, they enjoy sitting on laps, being read books, and watching TV. Hopefully they'll understand they are ducks and learn to sleep in the coop.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there are silkies and silkie bantams??? I always thought silkies were just a smaller breed. That's why they are part of my "useless chicken flock". They are the big chickens within my small bantam flock.

I have 2 black, almost 7-week-old, silkie chicks. One is 2 days younger. At first I wondered if size was due to age, then perhaps 'failure to thrive', then male vs. female. So far both have narrow combs. A good sign for 2 possible females. However the size difference is getting greater. The smaller one was weaker for a time but has been doing OK now. It's about the size of a 10 day old orp chick.

IMG_1647.JPG

The bigger one is getting a few crest feather which look ridiculous.
IMG_1653.JPG
IMG_1656.JPG

Does anyone know if there are silkies and silkie bantams???
My understanding from reading various posts around BYC, Majority of Silkies here in the US, are bantam version. They still are a large bantam compared. In Europe, they have commonly the Large Fowl Silkies. There are a few Silkie Large Fowl breeders here in US, but not many.
Maybe your smaller Silkie is a runt :idunno

Back
Top Bottom