Illinois...

Quote:
It is illegal, sorry to tell you this town sucks,,,,, This is copied from village ordinance from their websight.
6. No person shall cause or allow any place or stable, public or private, where any animal is or may be kept to become unclean, unwholesome or create any annoying or noxious odors, or do any act which endangers the public health or results in annoyance or discomfort to the public. It shall be unlawful to keep any live goats, swine, pigs, poultry, horses or cattle anywhere in the Village, except on properly zoned farms. (Ord. 543, 1981; amd. Ord. 824, 12-12-1991)
sad.png

That really does suck! I am fortunate our property is unincorporated. It used to be a farm--- I have a silo and a barn (and now 2 chicken coops). We have neighbors with farm animals and most of the property on the unincorporated side of the street is still zoned agricultural. We are not considered part of the village. So I didn't have to worry about all that--- I hope wholeheartedly you both have cool neighbors--- that makes all the difference. Our neighbors immediately behind us are from Poland so they are used to animals in the backyard---besides we let them have all the eggs, raspberries and blueberries they want--- just to make sure b/c we have two roosters!
wink.png

Quote:
It is illegal, sorry to tell you this town sucks,,,,, This is copied from village ordinance from their websight.
6. No person shall cause or allow any place or stable, public or private, where any animal is or may be kept to become unclean, unwholesome or create any annoying or noxious odors, or do any act which endangers the public health or results in annoyance or discomfort to the public. It shall be unlawful to keep any live goats, swine, pigs, poultry, horses or cattle anywhere in the Village, except on properly zoned farms. (Ord. 543, 1981; amd. Ord. 824, 12-12-1991)
sad.png

That really does suck! I am fortunate our property is unincorporated. It used to be a farm--- I have a silo and a barn (and now 2 chicken coops). We have neighbors with farm animals and most of the property on the unincorporated side of the street is still zoned agricultural. We are not considered part of the village. So I didn't have to worry about all that--- I hope wholeheartedly you both have cool neighbors--- that makes all the difference. Our neighbors immediately behind us are from Poland so they are used to animals in the backyard---besides we let them have all the eggs, raspberries and blueberries they want--- just to make sure b/c we have two roosters!
wink.png

Very cool! Glad you don't have to worry about it. I'll still be keeping my girls incognito until we move. I can't wait to get more, and a couple of roosters too.
Sad that most of this area was farmland, and was probably more productive than the darn near empty strip malls that are in this town. We have lived here over 20 years. Chomping at the bit to make the move final.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hi, I'm in unincorporated DuPage county, about 30 miles outside of Chicago. Anyone else in the area?
I checked the zoning laws online....nothing specific about poultry or chickens. Hopefully, it's not illegal to keep my 9 hens & 1 roo.

Back
Top Bottom