Illinois...

I did get to to meet tbitt (Tammy) a couple weeks ago! What a nice lady!
Yep, I agree, Tammy is definitely a keeper!
thumbsup.gif

Denise - So sorry to hear that! :eek:(

I did get to to meet tbitt (Tammy) a couple weeks ago! What a nice lady!

kfacres - Are they Bantam or LF?
LF--------

but I have four bantam Dark Cornish one year old females that I would sell if someone was interested, they are from very good SQ lines. I bought them last fall as young birds, and lost my male over the winter, and so I have not been able to hatch any purebred chicks from them. I had covered them with an Ameraucana male, and hatched a few chicks, but my LF Cornish guys are too big to get the job done with the little meat balls.

if anyones in the area this weekend, I'll be participating in the Midwest Folklife Festival in Bishop Hill, IL. It's a two day cultural arts and traditions festival, Aug. 4 & 5, and I'll be demonstrating and talking about stone carving.

Bishop Hill is between Moline, Galesburg and LaSalle/Peru. Stop by and say hi!

LF--------

but I have four bantam Dark Cornish one year old females that I would sell if someone was interested, they are from very good SQ lines. I bought them last fall as young birds, and lost my male over the winter, and so I have not been able to hatch any purebred chicks from them. I had covered them with an Ameraucana male, and hatched a few chicks, but my LF Cornish guys are too big to get the job done with the little meat balls.
Do you have more recent pictures of your "BQ, LF Cornish" than these you posted in Jan?

Gargole:
I just downloaded directions. We're working for a charity Saturday until 11PM but I hope to make it. I see from the schedule it has not evening things scheduled, does it close early?

Last edited:
Gargole:
I just downloaded directions. We're working for a charity Saturday until 11PM but I hope to make it. I see from the schedule it has not evening things scheduled, does it close early?

Demonstrations are 11-6 on Sat., 11-4 on Sunday. I hope you can make it, I'd love to meet you.

Saturday evening is a concert, Hoyle Brothers at 5 and A Tribute to Woody Guthrie at 6. There is a barn dance at 7, that doesn't seem to be mentioned on the web site.

Do you have more recent pictures of your "BQ, LF Cornish" than these you posted in Jan?

you forgot this one. I'd hate to see these advertised as anything but BQ.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ga...p://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/5895719

might be able to find some pictures of the young birds that I've raised this spring for people who might be interested. I've got tons of chicks hatched out this year- can't say I've lost but a few to predators. I seem to have the knowledge to keep my birds in pens secure enough-- at least up until this point.

No use showing pictures of my four hens- they're almost bald from being bred and broody. Can't keep them off nests...

Last edited:
Quote: Hi Denise and Gargoyle! I saw a press release from the Barn Dance this week. It starts at 7:00 p.m. and admission to the dance is included in the entrance price of the Festival. Sounds like a great time........we'll be on the southside cheering on our Sox.

Most of the chicks in this pen are breeder quality White Cornish hatched in April.

Two pictures of breeder quality Dark Cornish cockerels hatched in late April.

A cockerel that is not breeder quality Cornish, in fact is 3/4 Cornish X 1/4 Ameraucana, but shows a lot of Cornish influence in its wide chest, hard feathering, naked keel, and even a bit in the head. His shanks will be as heavy as, or heavier than, most hatchery type Cornish, and may come closer to Cornish type than most. However, I now cull any extra crossbreds from my blue/green egg laying, meat bird project; too many people want to buy them cheap, knowing full well they are crossbred, and then market them as quality Cornish.

O Steve aka Cedarknob...

How many of those birds are dead?

Care to share with the rest of the IL Peeps how many birds you've lost, and how many you've raised in the last 2 years that I've known you?

PS. to anyone reading--- almost all of my cornish, originated at Cedarknob's place. The two cockerels that he posted above are F2 BLR project birds from the big medicine project that sold hatching eggs on here for $80 per dozen. Ole Steve here, bought and lucked into some good SQ type birds last winter.
Most of the chicks in this pen are breeder quality White Cornish hatched in April.

Two pictures of breeder quality Dark Cornish cockerels hatched in late April.

A cockerel that is not breeder quality Cornish, in fact is 3/4 Cornish X 1/4 Ameraucana, but shows a lot of Cornish influence in its wide chest, hard feathering, naked keel, and even a bit in the head. His shanks will be as heavy as, or heavier than, most hatchery type Cornish, and may come closer to Cornish type than most. However, I now cull any extra crossbreds from my blue/green egg laying, meat bird project; too many people want to buy them cheap, knowing full well they are crossbred, and then market them as quality Cornish.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom