Illinois...

Those are what I want! Hubby says they are ugly.

They are ugly
gig.gif

But, if you are considering them form SteveW. Let me toss out a recommendation: he takes very good care of his flock, these birds are very pretty (I've personally seen them
wink.png
). and I am sure VERY healthy.

The 142nd ANNUAL SHOW of the EASTERN IOWA POULTRY ASSOCIATION will be held at the
SHARPLESS AUCTION COMPLEX on the East Side of Iowa City, IA
November 24 & 25, 2012. Show catalog is in the works, feel free to send me a pm for a copy of the show catalog via email.

I live in Farmington, IL. not far from Eureka. What type of chickens do you have? I have one red roo, one black silkie roo, one black silkie hen, a welsummer and easter egger hen. Lost four to foxes recently :(. building large pen for them soon but love ranging.

John and I are new chicken parents. We live in West Chicago, which is not the same as the "west side of Chicago" but an actual town about 45 minutes West of the city. Our neighborhood is unincorporated and the lots are about an acre, so we figured out that nobody would complain... and nobody is! One of our neighbors has a miniature horse and a miniature donkey...

We originaly got the girls because we wanted healthy food, and we figured homegrown eggs would go well with our veggie garden. John wanted to eat the chicken (he is a hunter!) but I thought it would be hard, we are city slickers... Well, we have 7 girls, they all have names and there's no way we would eat any of them.

So far the family includes: one Barred Rock, one Rhode Island Red, two golden-laced wyandotte, one ameraucana. About two months ago we went to the Belvedere Poultry Show "just to look" and came back with a beautiful Blue Orpington and... a buff silkie. We had the first 5 as little chicks and the last two as pulllets. We are expecting eggs any day now...

So far so good, they are happy and healthy, we give them a lot of treats. We got them a nice coop from a nice gentleman who builds them close to Joliet, and then added a nice enclosed run for comfort and safety.

The only issue is that we just discovered that the silkie has mites all over her head! Very scary for beginners, she acted sick for the last few days and we thought she had something like a cold, as she sneezes and shakes her head and makes gravely sounds. Then we found those blood-sucking monsters. Maybe we over-reacted but we put Vaseline all over her head (read that it would smoother the monsters) and then dusted her and everyone else with Sevin powder (thanks to the advice found here!). Last night I took a flee comb and pulled out most of the goo (Vaseline and mites/debris) out of her hair, and this morning she looked a little better. Nothing was moving that we could see. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Especially how to remove the Vaseline from the fur!

It's really nice to have a community that we can rely on. Taking on this idea of raising chicken alone would be daunting. We are infinetely glad for this forum and all the info that it provides.

John and I are new chicken parents. We live in West Chicago,
Welcome to BYC!
We're not far from you.

BTW, stop by Trellis Farm & Garden some time just to get familiar with what they carry. They only have the basic minimum of chicken stuff, (some feed, some feeders, etc.) not like Tractor Supply or a larger feed store, but since they are pretty close to you and convenient, it's worth knowing about.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom