Illinois...

Hi Gargoyle! Oh yes, Trellis is one of our favorite places. We like supporting local businesses even if it is a little more expensive. We buy bird food and stuff for the girls there. We have to go for Diatom Earth, which they said they have. Your Wyandottes are so pretty, so you breed them? We have two Golden Laced...

To EweSheep: I just read an article in a Chicken Mag about the Appenzeller Spitzhauben... we might have to talk next spring... Also looking for Iowa Blue in anyone knows where to get them...?

Your Wyandottes are so pretty, so you breed them?
Nope, we got them from Primrose Farm Park. It's part of the St. Charles park district. It's an interpretive 1930's farm, living history museum. They work with the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago and with various school hatching programs- they provide the eggs, then bring back the chicks and raise them. So, our Columbian Wyandottes were either born in a museum or in a school, which explains why they are so intelligent.

yesss.gif

Hi Gargoyle! Oh yes, Trellis is one of our favorite places. We like supporting local businesses even if it is a little more expensive. We buy bird food and stuff for the girls there. We have to go for Diatom Earth, which they said they have. Your Wyandottes are so pretty, so you breed them? We have two Golden Laced...

To EweSheep: I just read an article in a Chicken Mag about the Appenzeller Spitzhauben... we might have to talk next spring... Also looking for Iowa Blue in anyone knows where to get them...?

MissFrog!!

MrHeinz77 here on BYC (aka Jim Heinz) has Iowa Blues. He lives in Iowa and I met him halfway this past spring to bring him some Icelandics. He shipped me some quail eggs and included three chicken eggs (one Ameraucana and two Welsummer) and all three hatched under a broody hen!! If you're considering eggs, he'd be a great one to get some from...........and since I mentioned the Wellies and Am.....anyone needing a beautiful trio? I have a pair of the Welsummers and the Ameraucana (from a Black, Blue, Splash pen) appears to be a pullet (hatched the last week of July). I'm sticking with my Icelandics and New Hampshires so these could use a new home. Wellies lay a beautiful chocolate brown egg and the Am came from a blue egg so bred to the Wellie, the resulting pullets would lay olive green eggs.......come on....you know you want them!!

I am looking at moving my family to St. Charles. I searched for info on their ordinance concerning chickens, and it seems very vague to me. I was wondering if anyone familiar with the area can help inform me on the laws. I can't believe I am saying this, but I can't imagine relocating with out my girls.

Last edited:
I am looking at moving my family to St. Charles. I searched for info on their ordinance concerning chickens, and it seems very vague to me.
We have a member here, username 6chickens in St. Charles, who lives right in the heart of the city. I'd suggest PM'ing her, but I don't think she's been on line for a month or two. She posted about the ordinance here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/saint-charles-illinois-chicken-ordinance

We're just outside there, but unincorporated, so it isn't an issue for us. Pop me a PM if you move here, we'll get together for coffee.

I have a pair of the Welsummers and the Ameraucana (from a Black, Blue, Splash pen) appears to be a pullet (hatched the last week of July). I'm sticking with my Icelandics and New Hampshires so these could use a new home. Wellies lay a beautiful chocolate brown egg and the Am came from a blue egg so bred to the Wellie, the resulting pullets would lay olive green eggs.......come on....you know you want them!!

Let me clarify.... Ameraucana is a pullet and you think the Welsummers are one each (boy/ girl?)

Either way, I'd love the Ameraucan
wink.png

Thanks, NotAFarm, for the welcome and the contact of Mr Heinz. We never hatched an egg so I think we would be better with a chick or pullet.
Darling Hubby saw the story of the Iowa Blue in a recent Chicken magazine and said "I have to have one!"... OK.... Now we wait for the spring, because it is our first winter with the Girls and not too sure how this will go. Yes, just when we thought we had it under control, the change of season is going to change everything...

I am worrying ahead of time: Q-Tip the Silkie does not even know there's a coop... I mean she won't go up the ramp and won't even try. So we take her inside at night and she either sleeps in her basket or roosts on the edge of it. In the morning she goes to the run with the others when we open the coop. Is she going to catch a cold if she spends her night cozy inside the house and gets pitched out in the cold in the morning? Should we just lock her up in the coop at night and let her figure it out for herself? We started taking her inside when she first arrived because she is so helpless, we did not want the others to beat her up at night. Now, there's no hazing going on anymore in the run, but not sure what would happen inside the closed coop at night...

Also, she should start laying quite soon (not sure when ,we got her "all grown up"), where is she going to lay? The others have the nest boxes inside the coop... But if she can't get to them...?

Quote:
frow.gif
Hi Tammy! The Welsummers are one cockerel and one pullet. Kelly (Happy Chooks) told me I should be able to sex them as chicks and she was right. One had very definite, crisp markings and one had more "blurred" markings....she said one of each and that's what I got! Too bad they aren't all that easy to tell right away........like the Ameraucanas.........not so easy even at this age.....I'm almost positive the Am is a pullet. I'm going out to the barn now........I'll take a close look and get some pics for you.

Back
Top Bottom