Illness in our flock

sewcrazy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 27, 2014
We have had a stressful 2 weeks.

It started with a bad storm that knocked down a tree branch destroying one of our 2 coops. Thankfully no chickens were injured, but very freaked out. We put all 21 (mixed ages and 1 rooster) into the other coop. Much too crowded but needed while we built a new coop. We decided to build one large coop an use the old one for isolation when needed.

5 Days later, the day we finished the new coop, we had a fox attack. Chickens scattered everywhere, a few slightly injured but our rooster did his job and gave them time to escape. We rescued the rooster. Bites on his back, lots of lost feathers but nothing life threatening. Moved him into the dog crate in the house to rest and recover. Then we moved the flock into the new coop.

The next day 2 of my older hens had bubbles in one eye each. Eating fine, behaving normal, no other symptoms. Separated them from the rest o the flock. The next day the eyes were crusted over with yellow discharge and they were extremely lethargic. And 3 more hens had bubbles in their eyes. We moved them to quarantine also. The next day those 2 had crusted over eyes and lethargy, the first 2 were doing better but 3 more were sick.

At this point we figured everyone was exposed and put them all back together.

The disease has followed the same progression with each bird:

Day 1 bubbles in the eye, but otherwise fine

Day 2 yellow crusty eyes, swollen face, sneezing and lethargic.

Day 3 eyes drying up, a little sneezing still sluggish.

Day 4 no more goop, still sneezing but normal behavior.

There has been no decrease in egg production of laying hens.

My son is in 4h and we were able to take swabs in from birds at various stages of illness. They were negative for coryza, mg, and mareks, the only things they screen for.

We haven't medicated other than VetRX. My son and I decided that if they got sick enough to warrant antibiotics we would cull the flock. We kept the crust from sealing the sinuses and eyes shut during the day.

The last 2 hens came down with it today. The rest are a little thinner than they were a week ago, but seem ok.

Going forward is my concern. If they aren't suffering and are laying, culling isn't our choice. Should I assume we are now carriers of something and close my flock? I was shocked when the 4h people told us we could show them next month at the fair. I declined and pulled my son's registration for the fair.

I want to be a responsible chicken owner just trying to determine what that looks like going forward. We think the illness already present laying dormant and the stressors caused the symptoms to flare up.

Thank you for reading and any advice and ideas for our chicken future are appreciated.

Wow that is definitely a rapid incubation time and very contagious disease.

Do you believe the fox gave it to the chickens, or that the chickens from the second coop might have been carrier, and the stress brought it out?

I think, maybe, the one group, the older hens, were carriers of it. They came from various places over last year. The other coop were all from My Pet Chicken in January. The 2 groups shared a run though, so while they slept separate they weren't isolated from each other. But I think the overcrowding and stress suppressed their ability to fight whatever it is.

Maybe we could have prevented everyone from getting it by keeping quarantine of the sick ones, but we decided that they would fight it together and survive or all be culled.

Also, despite us being very careful with the rooster he came down with it 4 days after the fox attack. I had him on Tylan since the fox attack. His disease progression was no different than the hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom