I'm 1st incubation complete!

lindsey0572

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2015
Missouri
Well I just completed my 1st incubation I'm not sure how well I did out of a 40 egg start 15 hatched, only 28 eggs where in lock down I'm not sure why the other 13 didn't hatch? It really puzzles me I did dry incubation they looked good when going into lock down but they didn't even pip any idea on what I should do next time? i also got a little curious, so the eggs that didn't make it to lock down I decided to crack open and look at well only 3 of those had any kind of veins in them, so does that mean the others where not fertilize? And one was stinking to high heaven so I threw it out it was leaking also when I cracked it open it was just black goo? I'll post pics of the baby's when I have better signal

Congrats on your hatched chicks :celebrate

Of the ones you checked that had no development or veins I would say yes they were infertile or quit development at a very early stage. The ones with veins will have been quitters too.
Here is a nice article on incubation problems ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-failure-to-hatch-diagnosing-incubation-problems

Your oozing one had gone bad, it can sometimes happen. Incubators being warm and humid can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Do you know how long it had been oozing? The gunk coming out could have affected your other eggs. The bacteria could have got through to other embryos.

Looking forward to seeing your pics :thumbsup

[/IMG][/IMG]

Nice looking chicks. Next time, if you're up for it, you might want to open them up, and see if you can figure out what went wrong. Sometimes, but not always, you can tell why it didn't succeed. May have been too wet, malpositioned, too dry, early death, deformity, infection... If you have some that appeared to die at the same stage of development... could it have been related to a temp fluctuation at that time???

Back
Top Bottom