I'm a 1st time chicken mom

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you joined us.

Feel free to ask questions, we're here to help. What behavior is confusing you?

Thanks! Tonight was strange for me... I've been putting my Ladies (and maybe a boy or 2) out during the day and bringing them in at night because its still getting a little chilly at night and they are about 6 weeks old. I went out to check on them and they were SO loud! I thought maybe they were hungry so I fed them, they ate and that wasn't good enough. So I ended up bringing them back in and no one gave me any trouble with picking up. I don't want this to be an every day routine, what should I do? Am I doing something wrong? Should I have not let them explore during they day?

At 6 weeks old, they should have food and water available all day long. Are you trying to move them into their coop? You will have to put them in to the coop for at least the first couple days if not weeks. They don't know to go in at night until you teach them.

They may be afraid to go back into the coop because it is dark inside. If you have a small light on timer - to come on at dusk and go off in maybe 20 minutes, they will learn to go back inside. After awhile they will be brave enough to go without the light.

Back
Top Bottom