I'm a bit stumped? chicks with ducklings??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AnimalCrazed, Jun 13, 2017.

1. AnimalCrazed

AnimalCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Idaho
    Has anyone else experienced this? I ended up getting two ducklings when I got my chicks. Now they are 10 and 11 weeks old and my chickens seem to act peculiar.... not like any chickens I've ever raised. They don't want to roost at night but just want to sit in a pile on the coop floor. Also it took them a good week and a half to start going back into the coop after being in the coop for weeks before the run was built. Once I separated them from the ducks (same run different houses), and the ducks go into their house now by themselves, the chickens still struggle going back in. For a while there i would just go stand in the run in the evening and they would slowly go in. It's not every day but I had like three straight days of success when every chicken went back inside before dark. Its like they forget to go in before the daylight fades! There is a window in there and everything it's not pitch black... maybe it should be? Then randomly like tonight I get home from a movie and it's raining, they are purched on the ramp out side getting wet..... I'm wondering if they all think they are ducks!! But the best part is the ducks are already inside their house! .....What!?! .....Bunch of weirdos!
    (Our coop is designed after Carolina coop plans in case you need to know)
    I just can't figure out what to do!

Farmgal101 likes this.
  2. Farmgal101

Farmgal101 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2017
    Could be possible:lau

GeeGi likes this.
  3. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Could mites or something be bothering them inside the coop?

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Ducks do not go in to roost like Chickens nor do they roost unless Muscovy....Ducks need to be put in every night..Ducks do not sleep all night like Chickens either...

5. Chandra Prater

Chandra Prater Out Of The Brooder

My duck thinks she's a chicken so I don't see why that wouldn't sometimes work in reverse. I've also heard that some chickens just prefer to not roost-- I know 2 of mine don't-- but that it's not the end of the world if they don't.

6. AnimalCrazed

AnimalCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Idaho
    No mites, I'm sure!
    I guess I'm going to just have to keep training them that they are chickens not ducks!:rolleyes:

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

No, you keep training them like Ducks...They will never be Chickens....:lau

AnimalCrazed likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by