Im a bit worried

Mrfarmer

Hatching
Aug 3, 2016
Ok my chickens i have been told that they look a bit to big so like i said before so im worried my chickens are obese so i want to know how much is a chicken supposed to weigh when she has layed her first egg

Yorkshire Coop

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Aug 16, 2014
UK
My Coop
My Coop
Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! It really does depend on what breed your chickens are as to how much they weigh. I would suggest you research the breed of your chickens to get an average weight of them. If they are on a healthy well balanced diet I would not be too worried.

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

redsoxs

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
North Central Kansas
Greetings from Kansas, Mrfarmer, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! I agree with Yorkshire - tell us what kind of birds you have. To my experience, Cornish Cross are the only variety that will eat themselves into a stupor and get obese....most other breeds seem to regulate themselves pretty well around food. Best of luck. :)

Pork Pie

Flockwit
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 30, 2015
Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

cukuriku

Chirping
Jul 18, 2016
Welcome
frow.gif
enjoy the community, and much luck with your flock!

redsoxs

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
North Central Kansas
That is a hybrid that, depending on from what hatchery it was purchased, goes by a variety of names...red sex link, Red Star, Production Red, cherry egger. It is derived from cross between a Rhode Island Red and a New Hampshire. It doesn't look obese to me. Just looks like a healthy chicken. Hope this helps!

Top Bottom