I'm a chick mamma newbie - 3 week old chicks in coop question PLEASE HELP!

In no time at all your babies will be going to bed as soon as the sun goes down, they are very smart and catch on quickly !
I got 17 - 3 day old chicks and kept them in a brooder until they were 8 weeks old and then I put them out in the coop and they loved it - I didn't have to help them at all, when the sun went down they left the run, went into the coop and up the ladder. The only problem I had was they all wanted to be on the top roost bar and they barely fit with a lot of moving and shuffling, they are now 12 weeks old and all but three of them still got on the top roost, LOL !

It's amazing how much you get attached to them, makes me glad I'm only having them for eggs!
I would have to really ignore them if I was going to keep them for meat, that's for certain!

I have 3 day old chicks that use a ramp, or a cinder block at an angle, depending on the door they use. They are incredibly nimble. They learned it from their mother, who sets the tone for time and urgency to return to the coop. It hasn't rained yet, but I'd say they would be the first up the ramp if it did. They are blazing fast. They're in a coop with 3 hens, so they do what the big girls do.

Be careful with the spinach, it's not a "friendly" chic food. I give it to mine maybe once a month. I grow/buy heads of leaf lettuce and shred that up for them instead. Also enjoy that grass you currently see in their run, it will be gone very soon as they grow up!!! My girls love strawberries, blueberries and honey dew melon. And if you really want to give them a treat buy them dried meal worms. Enjoy your chics and enjoy the eggs they reward you with.

I think it's a stupid idea. What happens if they fall of the ramp? They should be at ground level as nature intended.
If they get wet they can die of the cold. It's happened to me. Put a box in the run for them. Ramp 'indeed' what a crazy idea. Bill

I think it's a stupid idea. What happens if they fall of the ramp? They should be at ground level as nature intended.
If they get wet they can die of the cold. It's happened to me. Put a box in the run for them. Ramp 'indeed' what a crazy idea. Bill

Actually, nature intended them to be high in trees sometimes. That is why you give them a roost because they feel much safer up high where they know they are safe from predators.

Such cute little chicks! I miss those days! Looks like you are doing a great job. Just out of curiosity did they end up helping themselves back up the first night or did they need a little help?

Back
Top Bottom