I'm a loser...well perhaps not a loser but...

ONSTAD1

Songster
7 Years
May 20, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
My Coop
My Coop
Ok so I want to raise chickens, but I'm not especially handy with a power saw or a hammer. There are hundreds of coups youcan buy out there. I'm wondering if anyone else has a prefab. Working for you? Sugestions for quality manufacturers? I know I know...lame-o!

Thanks

Mo

Coop de Grille - I LOVE your avatar!!!!
big_smile.png

Hi Onstad1 Welcome to the forum and to chickens...you have such fun ahead of you!!!

Still trying to figure out just what you lost...LOL----

IMO your idea about a kit or prefab chicken coop is smart. Not everyone is a construction expert and...not everyone had the time to build it from scratch. There are a LOT of really nice coops, coop kits etc. that are on the market. Just think if everyone on BYC bought a coop kit--we would have room for more chickens, and the economy of the USA would thrive and ....the ripple effect would be tremendous, and what we spent would come back to us--- but I digress.

I have plastic kits -- Eglu by Omlet. I love that they are so easy to clean, I can assemble them easilyby myself, they are insulated, and the chickens are definitely, undoubtedly safe.

I got one of them on EBAy, but -- they don't come up often on eBay. I'm now thinking of expanding--and I'm looking at one by an advertiser here the YOlk system, and one at MyPetChicken.com under the plastic coops called the snap lock chicken coop for up to 4 chickens.... (so I will need to get a villiage of snap lock coops....) ;O)

Sometimes coops on ebay etc. are smaller than they look....and sometimes the materials are very flimsy.....so sometimes you get what you pay for...in more ways than one.

email me or PM me if you want more details about the ones i have that you assemble your self.
Most of all -- get ready for the fun you will have with chickens...they are great.

Last edited:
Do a search for "chicken coops" on your local Craigslist. Most areas have someone who builds inexpensive chicken coops and sells them on CL.

ok...so I'm going to "become" handy...too boring to buy prefab. It seems half the fun in chickening is designing a coup/run with personality. Guessing I'll be ready for "the babes" next sping ; )

Back
Top Bottom