I'm a newb here

firebugfab

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Texas
Hello! I'm an complete newb to chickens. My 8 year old daughter and my 3 year old son convinced me we needed chickens just before Easter. We went to TSC to just look at them and came home with 2 RIR's. I've had geese before but never chickens. I never dreamed I would have chickens. I thought I had lost my mind when I went home with them but they are great!

several days old:
IMG_0687-600x450.jpg

The ugly stage:
IMG_0816-600x450.jpg

I went Turkey hunting and my daugther thought it would be neat to cover them in Turkey feathers:
IMG_5671-600x400.jpg

This was at about 5 weeks old:
IMG_5840-600x400.jpg

They are now about 7 weeks old and have become part of the family. I have to get that coop built this weekend!

Last edited:
Welcome!
smile.png

Well, you're in good company here!

Those are going to be handsome adult birds, and your parrot is very nice. We worked in parrot rescue for about 20 years, and that's a pretty familiar sight for me!
smile.png

The feather photo was a neat idea, but I'm always afraid of infecting my birds with something, so keep wild bird feathers away from them.

I hope you'll continue to show us pictures of your chicks as they grow!
smile.png

Welcome to the board! Chicken keeping should feel natural to you since you have experience with other birds. You'll love them... they have their own personalities just like parrots.

Back
Top Bottom