I'm a newbie, soon to be chicken owner, looking for suggestions, especially from Los Angeles folks.

Do you have a favorite breed, or can you choose just one?

• EE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ameraucana

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Black Copper Marans

• Orpington

• Cochin

• Wyandotte

• Welsummers

• Silkies

• Rhode Island Red

• Plymouth Rock

• Serama

• Penedesenca

• Old English Game

• Leghorn

• Belgian D'Uccle

• Australope

• Auracana

• Other breeds- favorite?

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Pasadenachicken

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 25, 2012
Hi everyone!
I'm a former lurker, new member of BYC. Hoping to flesh out my research with some friendly advice from more experienced chicken keepers. I am particularly interested in any local advice from Southern California (Los Angeles, Pasadena) that may shed some light on local problems- heat tolerance, predators, local diseases, health issues, etc. I am also interested in general info about breeds, interactions with kids, etc.
1. I am new to chickens but have a lot of experience with birds, ducks and reptiles. And I've done quite a lot of research.
2. I plan to get 4 to 6 chicks in the next week or so, unless there's a great reason not to. I've wanted to get fresh eggs and compost for some time!
3. I'm really hoping to get my hands on Black Copper Marans, Ameraucanas or EEs. I like Barnvelders And Welsummers also. I want something that will tolerate my one year old and his likely need to hug and chase hens. I want to raise them from chicks but not sure if I'm ready for hatching eggs yet. Anyone with suggestions for a good source for Maran's and others would be appreciated. Especially local sources.
4.I found BYC was one of the best sources for good information, well organized and friendly. Not a bad source found trolling the Internet ;).
5. I like gardening and I have not had my garden for a few years and have really missed growing my own organic veggies, and chickens are going to do nothing but help that cause. I love to cook and have been eating mostly organic for 20 years.
6. I am an Art Director and Designer, I restore old houses and love architecture. I love working in film, but taking a bit of a break from that now. I have a cute (if I do say so myself) little boy we call Peanut. (don't worry, not his real name) I and am married. We have no pets, except our coming soon chickens! I've been restoring our 1927 Spanish house for some time and now it's time for my lousy yard. Hoping to fill it with yummy eggs and produce!

A bit of trivia- I won't eat chicken, it is my most despised food. These chickens are never going to need to fear that they'll become dinner here! Although, I love eggs!

Any advice for me is appreciated. If there are some good/relevant threads that you can point me to, that would be great.Thank you!

Brandi

Welcome to BYC! So glad you found us.

I love all chickens but my favorites are: Icelandics, Ameraucanas, Black Copper Marans, Olive Eggers & Polish.

I also have a Silver Laced Wyandotte, a Buff Brahma, a Jersey Giant, and a Swedish Flower Hen for eye candy and a Trader Joe's Leghorn, Production Red and Barred Rock for EGGS!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Gosh, it's kinda hard to pick, but I guess my favorites are: Polish, Wheaten Marans, and Cream Legbars.
By the way, you're in the right place to learn all about chickens
thumbsup.gif

Mahonri- Great! I love seeing that you have some BCM in Arizona. I was really wondering how some varieties do in heat. It's not as hot here in Pasadena, but its pretty hot in the summer! I want to not cook my chickens...

My husband fell in love with BCMs and I want to get at least 2 for him. Now the trick is where to get them!

Have you found any breeds that just don't tolerate heat that I may avoid?

Also, haven't heard much about Olive Eggers. Do they lay the green eggs? Is there a thread about them that you recommend? My curiosity is piqued! My husband and I made a deal, I want a couple of chickens that lay green or blue eggs and he wants some that lay chocolate brown. I notice that you have varieties mixed all together. Do you keep them segregated at all, or do you find they all get along ok? It would be cool to get 6 different varieties, but I thought maybe having pairs of each would reduce chicken drama. Maybe I'm wrong or dreaming:p

Thanks!!

Thanks 4H chicken, Sumi and Kevin!

Weimarmama, good to know that I'm not the only one who has a hard time choosing! I'm still debating whether to get pair of each or just get a potpourri of all different ones!

Back
Top Bottom