I'm a total newbie here.

CaptainDuckman

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2021
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I've had chickens for about 9 months, ducks for 8 months, and Guinea fowl for 7 months. I got my first chickens in early July of 2020.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
(3) What breeds do you have?

I have 4 Rhode Island Reds, 7 Golden Comets(they're still in the brooder), five Plymouth Rock, 1 Broaster Rooster(who I think is dying from Botulism), 1 Americauna, 10 Runner Ducks, 5 Muscovy(with a drake recovering from what I think is Botulism), and 7 Guinea Fowl. I think that's the full list.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

The eggs for most of them. I like building coops. The muscovy drake was handed off to us by the family, so we added four muscovy hens to keep him company but he likes people more. The Guinea are just to eat ticks. I hate ticks.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I'm starting to like carpentry a lot. I like coming up with ways of making tending the poultry more efficient, but ducks are little forces of chaos.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Three dogs, six rabbits, a step daughter, and a wife. 7 acres, half a pond, a pasture that needs a lot of fencing work, and hopefully some milk cows at some point.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

This forum comes up a lot when I'm searching for answers to questions I have on DuckDuckGo! A whole lot! Like nearly every time.

Back
Top Bottom