I'm addicted to Ducks and Chickens. I think I might need to go to meetings....

Should I or shouldn't I allow a Crested Rouen Duck to Breed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LaughingDucks

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2016
Havana, FL
Farm eggs.jpg
Names Peggy

All right, I've put this off for a long time. But, I need some questions answered maybe advice. My Farms name is Laughing Ducks Farm. I’m in Havana FL. That’s in North Florida Near Tallahassee. I hate doing these intros because I prefer to be the one who makes it all work for the ones around me. Any lights that require I be visible, like giving speeches in front of 200 and 300 church members, to white knuckling it in the passenger seat of a too fast car wishing I had just admitted it would scare me stupid. I still cringe.

So… maybe just let me do this. I’ll come out from behind the Curtain and just be me….

I started falling in my yard, about two years ago and couldn’t figure out why? I was told a long time ago I have psoriasis. I was about 23 then. I'm 58 now and I only recently found out what that means and falling is part of Psoriatic Arthritis symptoms. Imagine taking an ADHD adult and giving them a degenerative disease. Any autoimmune disease will do, especially the arthritic ones. To keep from sitting in a chair until I die I went into my local Tractor Supply to buy seeds instead?

You're reading this so I know you get where I'm coming from. Well, as I see mentioned here often by the rest of you, I'm not the only one with a fur/feather/wool/Bacon kind of pet need that only Tracker Supply can slake.

They were having Spring "Chick Days". It's advertising at its best. I went in and immediately wanted to fondle the ducks. Well, of course, you must buy them first. Of Course, about $100. later I made it to my car. I could hear my Eldest Brother in the background noise of my head saying, "what were you thinking?" See, when I was 5 years old I stuck a fish hook in my mouth and my brother Denny thought it was stuck in the grass and he gave a little tug. Well, he caught me on that hook, sticking it through my cheek. I learned regret very early. But I have sworn to my Darling Wickedly Smart Husband OFTEN! That the store set me up! Those fuzzy little puff balls with pipe cleaner legs just had too high a cuteness factor. Just like my loving husband did. Same Hook... I admit I have a cuteness addiction. In fairness, the ducks have a funnier walk but my Darlings shoulders are amazing. See I just get stupid with it.

I found out later what a Pekin or Red Star is but I fell in love at first wiggly downy touch with my little boy “Drake”. I had to have me that duck. But I bought what I thought were 12 loser chickens to keep them Ducks company. I love my babies.

My Doc told me “Fish” are a great stress reliever. Really? Maaannnn! (Think Baloo the bear in the original Jungle Book cartoon made by Big D and his mouse.) I like fish with olive oil, garlic salt and lemon juice, not in a tank of water. My Duckies don't mind either the water or the fish. I love to watch them. They live where I can watch them off my back deck because they are so cool. And yes, I have grown to respect the loser chickens…all of them. My girls are working hens. Their eggs are sold at a local Whole Foods Market and Bakery.

To keep me from rambling for ... oh .... hours.

I think I'm just going to respond to the rest of these as if applying for a job.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
No, Sir. I’m not new to chickens. I am not new to being on a farm either. My Mothers Mom was a raiser of birds and other domestic farm animals until Kissimmee FL said no more in city limits. Winona raised her kids in the shadow of the High School. So they had to let the farm animals go but she kept her last three chickens.

I got my own Chickens and Ducks Spring of 2015 about 22 months ago.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
A lot! I think I have 40 plus. But I am about to cull the roos and freeze them.

I have about 19 ducks all but one is a Pekin. I now have a brand-new Crested Rouen Duck and about 4 Welsh Harlequin ducks in the Incubator. They are beautiful birds.
(3) What breeds do you have?

Chickens: Delaware, Speckled Sussex, Dark, and White Cornish, Red Stars, Black Stars, A pair of Bielefelder, Two Polish, Three Barred Rock, Three Blue Marans, and 4 Copper.
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Google sir.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Sewing, Quilting, Writing, Canning, Crochet...
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My marriage is Perfection! Actually, I think it has worked out to be the most amazing time in life. We work on how we take care of each other, every day. I have 1 son who recently got married and He and his partner moved to France. The Eldest a daughter is about to Graduate from College and is also happy with a wonderful partner. Pets? Oh, you mean the furry ones two Dogs and an occasional guest dog. 4 annoying non-reproductive cats who require constant adoration. I write financial stuff for my friends.

I would like to share that if you are given an autoimmune disorder diagnosis. Don't stay uninformed. You will live to regret it. Oh, and read the book Brightline’s. For me, it is becoming a game changer.

Thanks for letting me talk. I feel better.
View attachment 1110398 Peg

Last edited:
Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
We are so glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

I am not familiar with ducks...you may want to ask the duck people here:
Ducks

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Phil Mickelson, the professional golfer has the same condition you do and has written freely about on the golf websites, etc.. I think he is a spokesman for the group. I don't follow golf like I used too but, his condition hasn't seemed to harm his golfing prowess.

Back
Top Bottom