I'm an enabler.

Faverolling

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 29, 2013
NW FL
So, I never bought cracked corn for my flock before. Well, when I went to the feedstore and they had a small bag of it on sale for 3 buck. So I thought to myself, why not? Heck, it's almost Christmas anyway and this'll get me out of buying a flock block for their present.

Worst. Mistake. Ever.

Even though I try to control their usage(They only get a few handfuls for all twenty-something of them), they'll do anything to get a fix! If a leave a window or a door open, as I did this morning, I'll have a flock full of crack addict chickens pecking at the bucket I keep by the back door.

Excuse me while I try to get chicken poo out of the carpet.

Well. I've had avian addicts, but none so avid as those are. If you are sure you don't want to feed them their corn (for monetary, health, or other reasons) then you can attempt to break the addiction.
Try mixing a small amount of corn with their feed, perhaps at a 1:8 or so ratio. Half it about every week, until you can finally take it away altogether. Meanwhile, you need to stop the association you have with corn to them. Never give them corn, but still give them scraps and other treats.
Hope it will work!

Back
Top Bottom