I'm an overzealous chick shopper....

operator16

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Colorado
In my attempt to just go get 24 chicks from our two nearby feed stores, I accidentally brought home 50. There were all these darling stragglers on all the different shelves of the brooders crying and making a terrible ruckus...

I am going to give a few to another chicken-raising friend. I would like to know how to tell the difference between 1 1/2 week old Barred Rock and Cuckoo Maran chicks. They really look very similar and I'd like to give her just barred rocks since I only have two Marans in there.. I can't see
the difference. Any suggestions?

I appreciate it.

wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Quote:
HAHAHAHA!!!! That like my husband saying the eggs "accidentally" got into the incubator!
lau.gif

I have strict restictions in my city. Thank goodness or they would call me crazy chiken man and I would be worse than crazy cat lady and have wayyy too many chickens.

Have fun with those 50!!!!

Do you have nay pics?

Last edited:
I don't know if it's too early to tell, but BR chicks have yellow legs and Marans chicks have white/pinkish legs. That's the only way I could tell mine apart.

My girls have 12 sq feet of run space apiece, so I can't get any more. I'm staying away from TSC until chick days are over! Hopefully it'll be a few years before I need more chicks. I'm so jealous of all of you who can have a bunch of chickens!!! I'd love to have some EE's, and some brahmas, and some more BO's, and a couple silkies would be nice just for the fluffy-cuteness-pet factor......

Am I the "Crazy Cat Lady" of which you speak? I will post some pictures. They're all in one 6' steel water trough turned brooder since the second one is the infirmary where a sick hen recovers... The are a screaming, mass, of hysterical feathers all giving me the stink eye.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom