I'm clueless. HELP!!

Kelticlady

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
I have a Barred Plymouth Rock hen that we got from a friend about a year ago. I have no idea how old she is but she has recently become sick. She is having diarrhea (we have to wash her off) and throwing up clear liquid. She is lethargic and won't stand up or walk. I've brought her inside and am about to give her some olive oil. I tried to give her bread crumbs soaked in olive oil but she wouldn't take it. After reading some of the other posts, I think it might be an impacted crop. What should I do?!?! We've only had chickens for about two years and I am still really new at this. We recently got some new chicks if that means anything. They have been kept separate though.

Thanks in advance!

Kieran

If she has an impacted crop the best bet is to get some olive oil into her and do a crop massage to break up whatever is impacting her. You can try to just massage the crop without the olive oil to get her started eating, but it may be of limited benefit. Can you feel the crop? If she has an impacted crop it should be easily palpable. Can you try to knead it a bit to encourage movement? She may not appreciate it, but...

I would not try to flip her over and encourage her to vomit. This has killed as many chickens as it has helped. The risk of aspiration is often greater than the rewards.

In the meantime I would start looking up all posts relating to surgical interventions in crop stasis. There are several here in the archives.

Back
Top Bottom