I'm devastated!

I have just got done, still going through the same thing. Was out shopping today, left the fuzzies in there coop area. Normally I let them out to free range and happened not to today. I get back and all I see is my FAVORITE bird in the middle of the yard...still as can be. Her and another one were in the yard not moving. I look down and I see feathers everywere and see no birds except for the 2. I FREAK out. I look over at the coop and what ever got my birds had tore the door to the coop down!!! Needless to say, 1 is dead and 2 are injured!! 9 out of the 12 are doing fine and are not hurt, we found them!! It must have been the neighbors dogs, I have seen them in our yard before. The reason I think it was the dogs because the 1 dead bird was found at the edge of our property and it was still in tact. Any predator would have taken the bird and there would have been nothing left of it, and the others!! All I have got to say is if I or my DH are to see those dogs on our property...well, I think we all know what's going to happen!!!
I am so sorry for your loss...our birds will be missed!!

very sorry to hear that.
my heart goes out to you.
i felt a bit guilty about the recent death of a special silver-spangled hamburg i had...
think of this as a learning experience. now you know.
keep a close eye on your birds and remember they're counting on you for their protection.
God bless.

Last edited:
There is no real way to protect your flock unless you protect against everything that you think may harm them, then there is always the unexpected.
Best bet is to correctly fence the entire area you want them to roam on (as your coop is arranged). Fort Knox 24/7. Then the only predators will come from the air unless you let your guard down.
We take no pity on neighbors dogs, etc... They all know we run our farm here. Hens and calves are raised for profit and that is enough said.
Sorry for your loss.

So sorry to hear about your loss. I have found over the years that in my neighborhood I can absolutely count on all sorts of dog drama during the holidays: visiting dogs from neighbors' relatives wandering into my yard, dogs left outside (or in garages) over the holiday and barking all night, tons of folk walking dogs who don't normally appear outside, etc. etc. It happens here every year - - every Thanksgiving and every Christmas - - without exception. Folks who have a good, dependable schedule with their chickens might consider that possibility and be extra vigilant.

I personally think that good, secure chicken tractors are the way to go to get smaller flocks some good exercise during the day. I can't really think of any other good, economical way to let birds range without enduring flock losses. Even the hawks are bad this time of year.

Hope that info helps others. Once again, OP, so sorry for your loss, and do keep your chin up. Keep on chickening!

Last edited:
Quote:
had the same sort of problem. I was taking my big dog out for the essentials and had him on his chain so he could stretch before going to bed. I was having a quiet cigarette contemplating the day and making mental lists when Beast the wonder mutt started growling. Out of the darkness a small white and brown streak crossed the neighbors yard and into mine right towards my dog.

Ended up being the folks two doors down, their daughter came out to visit and she decided to let her jack Russel off leash to come play with mine
hmm.png
Needless to say her dog did make it, but it was close. 10 lb JRT against 60lb boxer/pit/shep mix. The JRT needed stitches......

All I could think of, is GIRLY, you grew up on this road. Your momma has chickens, I have chickens we all free range...... and you let that hyperactive dog come over to "play" with my dog? ACK
barnie.gif

Very sorry for your loss.
sad.png
It takes so long to get a flock started and laying, but a dog can wipe out a whole flock in a matter of minutes.

We were just sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner yesterday when my DH looked out the window and saw our neighbor's beagle snatch one of my black australorps (for the third and last time). We rescued that one and my dad and I went after the dog, leash in hand. Caught the dog (owners weren't home) and noticed more black feathers all over the ground. CRAP, he'd already been over. Looked around their trailer and never saw any chicken, then my dad thought to look in the dog's box and found her cowering there. All her back feathers were torn out and she had multiple lacerations up and down her back. After doctoring her, needless to say, I had very little appetite for turkey!

She's recovering in the basement where it's warm right now. She's eating and drinking and I think she'll make a full recovery in time. I don't know how I got so lucky to save them. I really don't. Told the neighbor last time that we would haul the dog off to the pound (in another distant county) if it happened again. DH hauled him off this morning. They didn't even ask after him. Losers.

Irresponsible people really irk me. I had to keep my large breed dog on a chain for 4 years before we were able to buy our home. NEVER got loose. How come they can't contain a little beagle?? DH says he'll fence our entire acre for me this spring so I won't have to worry about it anymore. Occasional stray dogs are the only predators we've ever had to deal with where we live.

The thing about dogs that bothers me is that they never eat the chicken. It's not that they're hungry. It's all about sport to them. I don't blame the dog though, I blame the owners. By law here I can shoot their dog, but I don't want to.

Don't know if my echo, see avitar, is gonna make it through this. She is not moving and will not eat or drink. I cleaned her wounds and put meds on it. I'm really doing all I can for her...The little back one is up moving around and eating and drinking, good news there! I just want my precious echo to be ok, that's all!!

I've experienced this a couple of months back. It's so heartbreaking (something you hatched and some raised from so young) to watch them be killed! I'm so sorry for you loss.
hugs.gif

Of all of the predators, dogs are the worst. They kill for the pure joy of it. I lost my entire flock of 60 laying hens in the space of two hours. I went to town to pick up groceries, and came straight back. My daughters were helping me carry the groceries in when I heard an awful screech coming from the chicken pen. Went down there, only to find our neighbor's two collie pups catching and killing a hen. It was a horrible sight. They had torn down the door into the run (it was completely enclosed on top, sides and into the ground - but they ripped the door off the hinges). There were bloody bodies all over everywhere. My girls were screaming bloody murder - the neighbor came running over when she heard them and was as horrified as we were. 59 good layers dead and in pieces - one injured and died the next day. The neighbors offered to pay for the hens - but they didn't have the $$ to cover my losses. I just asked that they help me clean up the mess, which they did - even replaced the door to the run. They got rid of the dogs - turned out they were chasing cattle, too. That was back in 1986. I just got up the nerve to get chickens again. (Just learned that the neighbors that are now living across the road got a pit bull. Heaven help me!)

Quote:
I'm sorry
sad.png
Try some canned cat food if she won't go for scrambled and/or chopped up boiled egg. The cat food has lots of protien, but too much sodium to really be good for them. I've had some sucess with it jump starting sick birds that I couldn't get too eat anything else though. Sometimes if you can get them to eat the cat food you can switch them over to healthier stuff pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom