1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm doing my research on ducks and really want one but I have a question about frogs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ABrune892, May 13, 2016.

1. ABrune892

ABrune892 New Egg

May 13, 2016
    My boyfriend loves peepers, and is trying to dig them a little area to breed so we can listen to them at night... We also eat a lot of eggs and so I want to get some ducks. But earlier I was wondering if they eat frogs and found out they do. Is there any way to keep ducks away from the frogs? I was hoping to free range, but I don't think my boyfriend would be pleased if all his frogs got killed. I also don't think the yard would look very good if we fenced off the area hes building for the frogs either... Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated..

2. arrowti

arrowti Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Maine
    If the ducks are fenced in in such a way that the frogs can't get into the duck enclosure and the ducks can't escape to eat the frogs, everything should work out.

3. Lilki

Lilki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    They eat small fish so I would assume they'd eat tadpoles as well. Fencing them off is probably the only way to protect them.

4. ABrune892

ABrune892 New Egg

May 13, 2016
    That's what I was thinking. Thank you

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Our property is next door to a property with a pond. Very interesting after a rain when you hear all the frogs. Our yard is also full of frogs and toads. I think my dog licks more of them than the ducks do.

The duck's pond has a few large frogs that live in it and several around it. I've only ever seen tug of frog a few times. Most of the time, they realize the frogs here are just too big for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by