I'm excited cause...I'VE GOT BABIES!!!!!! - Update - Pics post 6!!!!

ScaredOfShadows

Songster
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Semora NC - on the VA line
I went out this AM, she was still sitting on eggs...I was beginning to think she'd cooked them and was going to take a couple and candle later today when it got dark...Well I go out to feed Tiffany some treats and I had to look in the doghouse and I was like "its a broken egg shell...it had veins..." pick up Mrs. Tiffany and low and behold we've got babies!!!!!!!! 7 so far I believe, and atleast 4 more eggs under her and 2 were pipped adn zipped.

I will get pictures this evening or in the AM promise! My daughter was so excited, this is her first time having hatching baby ducks. We will probably take two of the babies and raise them in the house and try to make them friendly, if I get some tuxedo runners from Iamcuriositycat this weekend (her hatch thats hatching today) I can raised them together.
smile.png
I am quite excited, can you tell? Its been a few years for me since I'd had a clutch of home bred baby ducks, and I think ducks are so much more fun as babies than chicks are!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
oh and it looks like one of the rents has chocolate in there somewhere cause atleast 2 of the babies appear to be chocolate and white, not black and white.
wee.gif

Last edited:
That's is awesomeeeee. I am so much more of a duckling fan also. Nothing beats ducklings.
smile.png
can't wait for picturesssss!!!!!!! It's going to give me the itch for more duckling. And if you could post pics of those tuxedo runners if you get some also!!!! Runners are my favorite
big_smile.png

Thanks you guys, I didn't want stress mom out by taking her babies out yet with a couple eggs under her still hatching. She'll probably take them out in the AM i bet so I'll snap some pictures. If anything I'll bribe her out with her favorite no good treat bread and get a good snap of the babies in the sun and clean out the egg shells for her if she hasn't already.

Oh my goodness I did get one out from under her and hold it and love it and its so sweet and tiny. lol.

I will definately get pictures of these babies and my runners (i'm getting to 3 week old black runners and hopefully if all is okay 2 tuxedo hatchlings come Sunday) when I get 'em. I have been wanting some runners and am excited bout them too!

Bad picture but she hasn't brought them out of the dogbox yet, and it was the weenie dog's doghouse first so it has no lifting roof or anything neat so i can get good lighting! I will be on baby watch later this evening to see if she brings them out and I can snap some GOOD pictures!

57920_duckies.jpg

Two of the babies :

57920_duckies2.jpg

Look at them feet!!!

57920_duckies3.jpg

awww they are so cute. I am thinking that there are 6 black and whites and 2 look like they might be bluish and white, too light a color to be chocolate or black, so my next best guess is blue, can't see in these pics, i was fending off an angry mommy nipping at my toes while taking these pictures. lol.

When they were in the doghouse the first day and right after hatching Thursday she didn't mind me messing, but as of yesterday when them babies cry, she's all upset! Does the happy feet dance thing, wags that tale and fusses. She has a deformed beak, and I dont know if its from genetics or something supplement wise that happened with her (i got her as an adult in Feb) so I have no clue, but all the babies are PERFECT. Yes she is an AWESOME mommy. I may end up having to take 2 from her though one of the funny colored ones (suspected possible blues) because it seems to have something wrong with a foot and stumbles when running alot I noticed today. I cant SEE anything wrong, but it appears to be a bit lame in that leg for some reason, so I may need to take it up and a sibling and raise them inside. I'm setting up my broody box and will make my decision in the morning.

awwwwwe!
so glad she is an awesome mommy!
i hope the leg problem clears up, i have no advice for that.
but you seem to be a thoughtful and proud parent,
who cares a lot for your flock!
(even putting up with a few mommy pecks for pictures).
thank you for sharing them with me.

beth

Yes I love my flocks of ducks and chickens, they are all wonderful. I've been through disease issues before and I had culled my whole flock last year when i lived with my cousin who was also into the chickens and got me into selling...Anyway it about killed me to have 30+ birds culled for disease many of them with names and considered pets, and I won't go through it again and I can't put my daughter through that again. My animals are pets and pets only, I may want nice looking ones but breeding, I don't care. We moved since last year and I have an awesome neighbor and some how his birds have free ranged years and years and he does thing OLDSCHOOL and we had some of his birds tested by the state and they came out with clean bills of health (except some low classers with feather picked issues) but all my feathered kids are just that, family and what happens happens here and I will take care of them to the best of my ability.
smile.png
Thats all we really can do right?

Back
Top Bottom