I'm finding huge spiders lurking near my chicks

Feeneychickie

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2017
Indianapolis Indiana
I've read a lot of the spider threads and it seems grown chickens love and devour them, but what about babies? I have 3 day old chicks in a corral in my basement, and twice now I have come down in the early morn to check on them and have found big nasty black spiders that seem very interested in my babies. They set up shop at the base of the corral. They are no bigger than a quarter, but my motherly instincts have been perked. Lol
263a.png

The chicks may be nervous about the spiders at first, until a brave one makes a move and grabs one, then they will probably play keep away.

ETA: At about a week old they will be looking for something to do.

Last edited:
My silkie babies are vicious predators, one of my babies nearly caught a spider today when out and about, sneaking up on it akin to a cat. Sadly for the chick, the spider noticed it as the chick lunged and darted into a dense clump of grass. They also hunt slugs, one ran to me all proud with a tiny slug in it's beak seeking protection from it's envious siblings who wanted it also.
tongue.png

One also was freaking out and running all over with a large beetle in it's beak, due to it's siblings trying to steal it, but I rescued the beetle as it was too large for the chicks and put the very confused looking insect up onto a blackberry bush out of the chicks reach... The chick who had the beetle angrily squeaked at me, but quickly got over it. They LOVE insects and I wouldn't be surprised if the chicks ate some spiders already.

Had a middle-ish spider try to sneak across my basement floor. I gave it a gentle tap with my boot, then tossed it into the brooder. The chicks descended on it like a squadron of F-15s. That was immediately followed by much chasing and bickering.

Back
Top Bottom