I'm getting 2 rabbits in a week or two!!! Yipee!

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Fluffy Feather Farm
12 Years
Jan 26, 2010
Texas, Panhandle
My aunt called me and said she was looking for a rabbit for my little cousin for her B-Day this weekend, but she couldn't find anybody that had any! She asked me if I knew of anybody, I said I knew of a few people and that I'd call around. I spend all morning calling different people with no luck ... Finally I find someone that has rabbits and I give her his number. Anyway that weekend we had some friends come over and I was talking to their mom about rabbits, and she said "Oh, my brother has rabbits! I'll call him right now and see what he's got!" So she calls him and he had just sold abunch of Brown and White Holland Lops! She asked if I would like a rabbit too, I said sure! She said he would have some in a week or two.
smile.png
He has brown and white Holland Lops, and Satins. I have had rabbits in the past, but I have always had trouble keeping them alive .. the rattle snakes always got to'em first!
hmm.png
For Christmas my dad build me a snake proof rabbit hutch!
big_smile.png
It had 2 levels, top lever is half wood and half wire. The bottom has a ramp going down to a run.
smile.png
So does anybody wonna share pics of their rabbits?
big_smile.png
wee.gif
big_smile.png
Oh, and I think I can get at least two, should I get 2 lops or a lop and a satin?
hu.gif
hmm.png

Congratulations. I got a lop just over a week ago. He is very friendly for a bunny. I will have to take picture to post here. He is living in my sewing room for now.

as kids, my sisters and i raised rabbits for show with 4-H Club. We raised Siamese and Copper Satins .Wonderful tempered , mid-sized( around 6-8 lbs) bunnies!
One of my Copper Satins.."Dark Sunshine ".. lived to be 14 years old. Personality wise she was something else!
Anyway, i like the Lops but the Satins have a special place in my memories!
love.gif
love.gif

We still have rabbits but they are rescue "mutts" .2 small skittish Rex mixes that had been dumped in the woods( only about 4-5 weeks old at the time) to fend for themselves and 1 reeeally large,blind in 1 eye, 9 year old who knows what mix named "Horton"that everyone adores. When we got him his name was "Trixie" and they thought he was a she...LOL

Since you have only 1 cage ,i would STRONGLY recommend you get only 1 rabbit since whether male /female or 1 of each could all lead to potentially bad situations when housed together unless spayed /neutered, and sometimes even then they'll fight and tear each other up something fierce ...or worse.
hit.gif

justbugged: Awesome! Pictures needed!
big_smile.png

mhwc56: I would love to see some pictures of your Satins!
smile.png
I'll post a picture of my hutch, I had a Holland lop before, and she had the sweetest temperment. I put 2 rabbits and a chicken in with her and she adopted all of them!
lol.png
I will be getting them from the same litter, I think as long as they're raised together they'll be okay. I plan on breeding them anyway.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

justbugged: Awesome! Pictures needed!
big_smile.png

mhwc56: I would love to see some pictures of your Satins!
smile.png
I'll post a picture of my hutch, I had a Holland lop before, and she had the sweetest temperment. I put 2 rabbits and a chicken in with her and she adopted all of them!
lol.png
I will be getting them from the same litter, I think as long as they're raised together they'll be okay. I plan on breeding them anyway.

Hopefully you're not getting a breeding pair out of the same litter, and if you're getting a buck and a doe they should NOT be kept together.​

Quote:
Hopefully you're not getting a breeding pair out of the same litter, and if you're getting a buck and a doe they should NOT be kept together.

Why not?
hu.gif

If they do start to fight, then I can put one in the bottom half or .... I have another hutch that he can be removed to.
smile.png

Because you don't want to breed two rabbits that are related. Same as with all animals, the babies will have birth defects. If you do get two from the same litter consider neutering the boy bunny.

Quote:
Hehe, I knew that!
tongue.png
(
hide.gif
)
Humm, would it be better to get 2 females? I don't want my bunnies to get lonely! There is a breeder that has rabbits, he'll let me breed a doe to his buck for free ... could I just get 2 females?

Every once in a great while females won't get along as they are territorial, but most often they will especially if raised together and they have enough room. I WOULD get 2 does if I were you.
smile.png

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:
Hopefully you're not getting a breeding pair out of the same litter, and if you're getting a buck and a doe they should NOT be kept together.

Why not?
hu.gif

If they do start to fight, then I can put one in the bottom half or .... I have another hutch that he can be removed to.
smile.png

Aside from what another poster already said, if you have a male and a female, they will breed as young as the female is fertile. This is usually before she's really able to handle having babies. And if you leave the male with her, he will breed her again almost immediately. So before you know it you have a underaged doe nursing a litter, already pregnant with her second one.

Unless you have a purpose in mind, you should probably avoid breeding altogether.

Back
Top Bottom