I'm getting a duck!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by awesomefowl, Jul 2, 2011.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

[​IMG]
    Some people we know who raise Muscovy ducks for meat have a lone rejected duckling whose siblings were all killed by a fox. I'm going to take it and it can be in the brooder with my Silkie chicks at first. The duckling is about 1 week old; the Silkies are several weeks old. If it doesn't work out, I'll move him/her to a separate brooder.
    Anything I absolutely need to know?? I own "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks" and do know somewhat about ducks.
    So exciting ~ !!!!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    That is a good book. Your little duck will get very attached to you being a lone duck. It will also make a bigger mess with the water than your silkies. you may soon want to put it in a brooder right next to the silkies where it can see the chickens and enjoy their company, but confine the wet mess. I found putting the waterer on top of a sort of mesh with another container underneath to catch the water helps contain the mess.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Water management is key to happy brooding, for you and the duck! They grow unbelievably quickly! Storey's is a good guide, and BYC duck forum fills in many details.

Get a good feed for ducklings, keep clean* water available at all times for the first several weeks, and enjoy!

*clean: a few times a day, change it out, as it will get murky pretty soon, as in, seconds after you set it out.

4. awesomefowl

I got him!! He is so cute! The chicks were terrified of him ("What is this yellow fluffy thing doing in our brooder?!") but are now fine. I'm watching them, because I will have to separate them if they pick on the duck.
    Photos coming soon...

5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    My 2 2-week old muscovy ducklings are in with 2 silkie pullets. They are quite attached to eachother.

6. awesomefowl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The duck is settling in nicely; he gets along with the Silkies pretty well so far. He is so cute!!!! Messy, but cute. I attempted vent-sexing from directions in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, and I'm 75% sure its a girl. Name suggestions, anyone?

7. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    She is sooo cute! [​IMG] I want a muscovy so badly!

She looks like a Nina to me. [​IMG]

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    aw, they grow real quick so take a lot of pictures! i'd personally see if you can get another duck, as they enjoy swimming and preening each other.

9. awesomefowl

Quote:Waalll now.... my plan is to buy some Muscovy meat, and convince my parents it is delicious. Then I will get a duck of the opposite gender and breed them!

10. CrzyChicLady

CrzyChicLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    I've heard that ducklings can OD on medicated chick food but "Storey's Guide" says that the chick starter is fine. Are you feeding the duckling and the silkies medicated chick starter?

He is cute and so tiny! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by