1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i'm getting chickens please read

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Animallover606, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Animallover606

Animallover606 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    I'm going to get older chickens than babies and I've already seen the coop pages I was think around 40 chickens [​IMG]

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    So what do you need to know? What info. do you need?

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    do you have room to build a 16 by 16 coop.if so that size will suit your needs.

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    What is your question about older chickens? [​IMG]

5. Animallover606

Apr 12, 2008
    well I think I have room for 40 chickens and I had no question about the older chickens I just like looking at other peoples coops and getting ideas from them [​IMG]

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    That's great that you can have 40 chickens.

Just in case ... you should have an inside coop that's 160 sq. ft. to fit that many chickens.

7. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Animal ~

Your coop size depends on how the chickens will be allowed to roam. Generally, chickens need 4sq. ft. of coop area, and about 10' of run area. That's size is for each chicken. However, if you live in a snowy area so they can't get out, the hens will need more space in the coop. Otherwise, there'll be a lot of pecking one another, feather eating, etc.
    The coop also needs space for a water/feed station and nest boxes. About one box for every 4-5 laying hens. A roost is also needed. This should be higher than the boxes, and preferably not over them, nor the feeders. [​IMG] The hens will fertilize the floor considerably at night, and anything underneath them.
    Give them enough room so that they can stretch up and out in the coop.

Carla

8. Animallover606

Apr 12, 2008
    thanks for all your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by