Im Getting Ducks!

Take a look at Magpies, the Magpie drake I have is beautiful, and very sweet! When he gets held he will actually give "hugs" by draping his neck across your head. We keep our two ducks in a small shed (that was our chicken coop for about 5 years) attached to a medium sized run that has fencing on the top. We let them free range a couple days a week, but they don't wander too far from their coop. I've never had any problems with predators, even though we live along the Rappahanock river and our place is crawling with foxes, coyotes, eagles and hawks. They seem to prefer the taste of chicken. lol Also look Appleyard ducks, I don't own them but I'm looking at getting some, they are very rare and seem like very nice birds.

Once again I agree with Amiga. When I first got ducks I had the train of thought, "Oh it won't happen to ME." Wrong. So I covered the top of my run. Thought I fixed the predator problem. I used to let my ducks free range all day; they stayed close to the house and we live in a very rural area. Wrong again. Hawk killed again. NOW, I let them out to free range, but me watching them. I can because I am a stay at home mom and make time to do it. Not everyone can or is willing to watch ducks and then put them back in their enclosure if they are not being watched. That is how far I go to keep them safe. Why? Because I get attached, like Amiga. I don't know who cried more when we buried our beloved Khaki Campbell drake recently, our young daughters or myself. I had to pick him up, wrap him up, and we buried him :( It breaks my heart now just thinking about it.

So it is your decision to make as to how far you want protection. There is no wrong decision. Just know the consequences if you decide on minimal protection.

Last edited:
I have no idea!
barnie.gif

I have no idea!
barnie.gif

You have no idea about what? Protection? Like I said, there is no wrong decision really. Some folks get ducks and give them a place to sleep at night and then turn them loose. I tried that method and I was so hurt by a lost duck, so I upped my protection by installing a top cover with mesh wiring and electrical fencing. NOW I supervise my ducks while they free range during the day because I don't want to lose another one to a hawk. Just go with your gut.

Make sure the coop is ready before they arrive. But for eggs I recommend golden 300 hybrid ducks. Mine produced a great amount each year.

Make sure the coop is ready before they arrive. But for eggs I recommend golden 300 hybrid ducks. Mine produced a great amount each year.
Ditto. Having everything ready lets you just bask in the excitement and joy of the new arrivals. Before our ducklings arrived, I got a thermometer. Know what temperature you have for their shelter. Ducklings need 90F the first week. I learned that when the brooder got damp, I had a hard time keeping it above 80. But at least I knew that a dry brooder could be 90F. Same with the adult duckhouse, I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer, with a wire going into the duckhouse so that I can stand outside and see how cold it is inside the shelter. Or in the summertime, how hot it is.

Ditto. Having everything ready lets you just bask in the excitement and joy of the new arrivals. Before our ducklings arrived, I got a thermometer. Know what temperature you have for their shelter. Ducklings need 90F the first week. I learned that when the brooder got damp, I had a hard time keeping it above 80. But at least I knew that a dry brooder could be 90F. Same with the adult duckhouse, I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer, with a wire going into the duckhouse so that I can stand outside and see how cold it is inside the shelter. Or in the summertime, how hot it is.
Thank you for the advice
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom