I'm getting negative feedback about getting chickens!

We have a little farming commune back here in our subdivision--not subdivision in the traditional sense as everyone has at least 2 acres. We're all pretty cool about livestock and hobby farming

Neighbors L have fruit orchard, garden & pheasants

Neighbors C have garden & grape arbor

Neighbors CH have grape arbor, garden & ducks

Neighbors D have peacocks & garden

Neighbors W have maple trees, grape arbor, fruit patches, garden & lots of eyesores (old trucks, trailer homes, fallen down cabins)

Neighbors DK have goats, chickens, garden & orchard

Neighbors LD have garden & big potato patch

Neighbors AL have chickens & garden

Neighbors U have garden

Neighbors A have garden

We have chickens, garden, orchard & goats

The few who would complain are outnumbered by those who would not. They are not popular around here
wink.png

Get chickens and decide for yourself if they're worth it or not, only YOU can decide that

Just a mini rant...why do people always give you the negative aspects of anything first? Like having children, no one tells you the FUN part of kids. They only tell you the hard, horrible, negative parts of being a parent. I am a physical therapist and my clients always come to their appointments fearful rather than hopeful due to everyone they inform telling them the worst of PT. Instead of saying that the treatment will help, they spin it to say "PT stands for 1) pain and torture 2)physical terrorism!
he.gif
he.gif

rant.gif
rant.gif
rant.gif

Then I calm them down and prove how beneficial PT can be. They really appreciate that!
ya.gif
ya.gif

I agree, there is a terrible need to excentuate the negative. Almost like it is a competition. "You had a broken leg!! will mine just plumb fell right off! Top ThaT!!:} So I have 7 chickens left. Started with 10, ate 5 bought 2 more at the fair. Thinking of eating one more (a unpredictable roo being eaten by the hens).

The hard stuff: You will have to deal with things you never thought you could do, but you will do them because they need to be done. You will amaze yourself.

Count the cost: If you are not sure, maybe you should look into a smaller set up, less expensive, to start with. Try 3 or 4 birds and then go from there. I talked with everyone I knew looking for free stuff. Our 8 x 8 shed was donated to our cause we built a small run in the spring and added on in the fall to spread out the cost. I made a home made feeder cost 3 bucks.

Favorite things about have chickens: They sing to me, I love to sit out with them with a book and read or pick them up and lull them to sleep by rubbing their crowns. The eggs are delicious. There is a sense of accomplishment that I cannot describe.

What ever you do, do your best, give it your all, you will be victorious!!

Quote:
We looked into buying the fully assembled coops too. For an 8x8 (which is the size I was willing to settle for) it was $3400! crazy. We built it for around $1,000 and compared to what is around here we built a palace. We did insulate the coop since it gets cold in SE Idaho. I also think it still could have been cheaper since we didn't see on craigs list people selling excess materials from construction sites until after we finished. It still seems small and DH said we'll keep an eye out for people getting rid of sheds or materials to expand. Either way it is a good bit of change to start out any project!

As to what everyone else is saying....The question remains at the end of the day.. Do You want to do this? If it's still yes...Go for it. those that responded to this thread have all answered your concerns. most of what people have said isn't true unless you don't take proper care, so on that note, you have the ultimate control over how this turns out. Good Luck!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom