1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Im Going To Get Some Chickens!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jomoncon, Sep 28, 2010.

1. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I been wanting to raise a few chickens for eggs for some time now. Some friends of ours were giving us fresh eggs last summer & they were so very good However, over the winter, skunks got all their chickens & they're not getting any more. My backyard is so small that there's really no place for them, but last week, I came up with the brilliant ides of keeping them at my Mom's house. She has a huge yard and at 85, she seldom, if ever, goes into the back yard. Plus I visit her almost every day. Both Mom & DH agree to the chicks.

So here's my real problem: I don't know a thing about them. So I've been doing a lot of web searching & reading, especially on this site. Plus, I'll be browsing through all the older posts here.

We're planning on making a chicken tractor, similar to this one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=61-chicken-tractor DH & I have already discussed ways to modify it for our own needs. We want to get about 6 Rhode Island Red chicks. I know of a couple of organic nurseries that have chickens. I'll probably go spend some time there. We're looking at building the coop during October & getting some 1 month old chicks around the beginning of November.

I'll probably come up with a lot of questions for the various forums. I can't wait to get started.
    Jo-Ann

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] From Louisiana!!!

You will NOT regret it!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Read up on everything you possibly can, especially raising chicks. Keep in mind winter is coming soon and it's a whole new ballgame with chicks regarding cold weather. Good luck.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    [​IMG]n Too bad you are not closer I have RIR's due to hatch out October 9th. You'll love having chickies

5. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from south carolina/fla. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

[​IMG] from NY!

7. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.