I'm going to try Quails

major

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 6, 2012
I have just made an in-pulse buy on EBay of some Quail eggs,(I know eBay is not the best way to buy hatching eggs)
I managed to get my hands on an octagon 20 Incubator cheep! i have had it plugged in for 7days now and it working grate so i want to try it out
smile.png

They are going to end up in the freezer (well maybe not all of them!) so i was going to ask...!

1:At what age do they start to lay?

2:At what age do Quails make good eating ?

3:What is the best way to end the little guys life ?

4:Do they taste good and how much meat is there I thinking one Quail per person?

Thanks for any help.

The quails use to start laying eggs when they're about 45 days, at the same time they're ready for become your meal. About the way of ending their life, I can't said with 100% sure, but my gradma used to kill the chickens and quails cutting their neck, but I don't know if this way is the best. I like the quail taste, but some people don't. I think one quail per person is enought, but I'm not sure of this too.

If you haven't found it ,once your in the Quail section ,just above the Threads (is a blue box it says STICKY threads) just below that (Quail notable facts and FAQ)click on it ...Its got Tons of info...cva34
Were talking Cots
1 7W
2 7W
3 Remove Head
4 or so

i just ordered 100 from ebay as well..its,my first time raising them.. i got cortnix qyail.. im glad i foun this thread..mbey we can learn from each other..

CVA got it right for Pharoah Quail. I always butcher them no later than 8 weeks because I can't afford to keep them longer than that. I keep my breeders longer to lay eggs though. They will lay at 6 - 8 weeks old as but this time of year they need 16 hrs of light. I always plan on a minimum 2 per person when planning meals and sometimes more. Some people want to "feast" on them.

Yeah they dont have alot of meat on them, even the jumbos are not a feast but if you wanted alot of meat you wouldnt raise quail to eat lol. If you bought 100 eggs, only 50 of them hatched, to feed those 50 for 6-8 weeks to maturity then you would see how expensive that can get. What I do is pick my favorite colors or patterns, cull the rest, then out of the birds I picked I decide who is a male and who's a female, then I keep several females and a couple males and the rest of the males go to the freezer.

Out of 50 birds I would probably keep 10 after 8 weeks.

Thanks for all your input, i may keep some just for some eggs but we will see how the hatch goes! I was told they are English White but we will see what they turn out to be (You know E-Bay lol)
I'm starting to get all excited about losing my incubator cherry.....!

I'm all set I think?
Incubator set and running at 99.6 for the past 4days and the humidity is around about 50% (46%-52%) is it normal for it to go up and down over 4 days?

Wish me luck im off to spend some time reading up

i just ordered 100 from ebay as well..its,my first time raising them.. i got cortnix qyail.. im glad i foun this thread..mbey we can learn from each other..
Sounds like a plan Mrs B

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom