I'm hatching quails for the first time (first time hatching anything really...)....

Which Incubator?

• Total voters
I have read so many conflicting ideas about dry and wet hatchings for quails. I'm still not sure which I will do... I think it may take some experimentation...

I think you should still go with the NR. Unfortunately the one RayDarlene posted is a cheap chinese incubator. Very rarely they'll actually work ok, but most of the time they're death traps. My friend had a very similar one, and it spiked so bad all the time. The NR is the best for a beginner. There is no good cheap incubator. You get what you pay for. Don't dry hatch your quail eggs. The humidity needs to be around 50% until lockdown, then up to 65-70% for lockdown.

I think you should still go with the NR. Unfortunately the one RayDarlene posted is a cheap chinese incubator. Very rarely they'll actually work ok, but most of the time they're death traps. My friend had a very similar one, and it spiked so bad all the time. The NR is the best for a beginner. There is no good cheap incubator. You get what you pay for. Don't dry hatch your quail eggs. The humidity needs to be around 50% until lockdown, then up to 65-70% for lockdown.
I already called TSC and they said they have the NR 360 available (YAY)!! That is definitely the direction I am heading incubator wise (thanks for everyones help and suggestions)! As for humidity? I am going to most likely do "wet" because the season is turning... I don't think I can rely on the outside humidity to help me...

I already called TSC and they said they have the NR 360 available (YAY)!! That is definitely the direction I am heading incubator wise (thanks for everyones help and suggestions)! As for humidity? I am going to most likely do "wet" because the season is turning... I don't think I can rely on the outside humidity to help me...
Yay!!! That's great. Yes, with gamebirds you don't want to dry incubate. Usually 45-50% is the best.
When are you getting the NR?

Yay!!! That's great. Yes, with gamebirds you don't want to dry incubate. Usually 45-50% is the best.
Next week. I will order the eggs the same day (have a few days for testing the incubator) and hopefully start incubation some time in the middle to end of next week!

Also, for the NR... how reliable is the humidity gage on it? Should I buy a secondary one??

Next week. I will order the eggs the same day (have a few days for testing the incubator) and hopefully start incubation some time in the middle to end of next week!
Sounds good! Yep, it's best to test it for a few days. Exciting!!!

Also, for the NR... how reliable is the humidity gage on it? Should I buy a secondary one??
No matter the incubator, always check it with a salt tested humidity gauge. You can find salt test instructions online. It's pretty easy, and you'll have that extra confidence you're doing everything perfectly. You should also check the temp with at least one extra thermometer, that has been calibrated.
My NR's built in humidity gauge is spot on, but that's just mine. Yours might not be.
Good luck!

No matter the incubator, always check it with a salt tested humidity gauge. You can find salt test instructions online. It's pretty easy, and you'll have that extra confidence you're doing everything perfectly. You should also check the temp with at least one extra thermometer, that has been calibrated.
My NR's built in humidity gauge is spot on, but that's just mine. Yours might not be.
Good luck!
Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom