I'm having such a hard time deciding which chicks to sell!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brahmamama4, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Brahmamama4

Brahmamama4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Washington
    Of course I bought extra Cochins from Ideal after hearing all of the horror stories about all or some of them dying in shipment. The problem is none of them died and they are all so pretty and nice! Then chicken math kicked in and I picked up 3 Salmon Faverolles because they are supposed to have such wonderful temperaments and lay eggs more often then the Cochins. Now I can't decide what birds to keep! My coop and run will only comfortably keep 6. I have 10. How do you decide which ones go?

2. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    Build a bigger coop and go get some more [​IMG]

3. LittleDarlings

LittleDarlings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Madison, GA
    [​IMG] HAHAHAHA!!!

4. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    I am too. I originally wanted 12 and thought I would give away the rest of the 26 chick order but ummm... chicken math being what it is and my first shipment having 16 losses (they shipped 44 not 26). Well I ended up getting the replacements of course... and they threw in a ton of red star males. *grumbles* hmmm

Soooo.. now I'm trying to sort out what I want from what I don't... its so hard!! especially since Ive fallen in love with them before i knew for sure which are boys and which are girls.

I second the 'build a bigger coup' thing... *already in planning stages here!* Chicken math... 12=46 now if only that was the way my checkbook worked...

5. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Why not post some pics of them on here with a poll and let us help you decide [​IMG]

6. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Well my chicken calculator just up and broke on me lol lol ..... I have 97 birds...how do I know this......hubby went and counted for me proving a point that I am out of control!!!! Sooo I had to break out the chicken logic.....well honey half of those are gonna be roos so we are gonna eat those....reply uh huh right......then we have to get our layers chosen .......reply uh huh ........ then we have to see which roos are gonna work for us for my different breeds and the main flock.......reply uh huh ......and well the turkeys are for the holidays......reply just a grim look at this point....then he asked what about the ducks we don't even like duck meat....with a big beautiful smile I replied well honey for the eggs of course you can't bake ANYTHING without a duck egg it makes the world of difference!!! Then the youngest pipes in with duckling in hand and Daddy they are sooooooo cute look he loves me as the duckling is nuzzling under the 6yr old's neck.....I won I won!!!!!!!! lol lol

7. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    When all else fails break out the kid with the chick cuteness !!!!! lol works every time!!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by