I'm heartbroken...and scared for him.

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
I had everything ready for this spring. My Barred Rocks were getting ready to lay, I had orders coming in..and then my dad calls.

My neighbor's gorgeous black lab female has killed all of my barred rocks but 3 and has killed every single bird in the back pen, save for Mr. Mom (11 year old rooster) and his half-sister who is 8 years old.

The bird is actually heartbroken, depressed and is actually looking sad. I reached into the coop to look him over tonight...and he has some scratches, cuts and Lord knows how many internal injuries. He shrank back from my touch. In 11 years, he has NEVER done that and it broke me.

I can't bring him into the house, because I know he'll over-stress and die in the bathtub just like my rooster Courage did 10 years ago. Courage was killed by my brother's dog and he also lost all but one hen that died next to him in the tub.

It's like turning back the clock and seeing my pets murdered. I mean...this dog tore through a BARN to get to them. There was no way to protect them from that kind of determination.

Here are some photos of the carnage, but don't worry...none show the deceased animals. The owner of the dog has lost his dog which is awful because I loved the dog too. We watched her raised from a puppy. She was so sweet and lovable. What caused her to change into a murderer in one night...we'll never know?

Here are some photos to let you see what I'm talking about:
Mikaela080.jpg

Mikaela082.jpg
(The hole underneath the window has never been there before.)
Mikaela081.jpg
(Piece that was torn from the wall.)
Mikaela083.jpg
(Door we use to lock the birds up at night...)
Mikaela084.jpg
(The biggest piece of evidence.)
Mikaela088.jpg
(One of the saddest photos I've seen in a long time...)

black labs are bird dogs, i know he is your neighbor but a good neighbor would pay for the chickens and damages, wouldnt say a word trying to get out of it,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that Mr. Mom recovers and that you can get him a new brood quickly, even if only a couple of girls to keep him company.

hugs.gif

thats pretty good if that covers everything, remember your time is worth more then anything else

I am sorry for your loss. I have 3 dogs and had 30+ chickens free ranging for 6 months without incident. Then one day I found 14 dead hens and 3 dying hens after work. Somrthing changed and my birds payed with their lives. I love my birds and love my dogs. I found that my best option is seperating them by fence and multiple wire electric fence. Not a single loss since and my dogs learned VERY quick to respect the fence. I got my materials by trading/haggling on craigs list and plus about $30 out of pocket for the rest of the elctric fence materials. Not much for a large piece of mind.

Each of these sad tales of dogs on the loose killing and terrorizing defenseless beings sends me into orbit. There is never an acceptable reason for people losing control of their dogs since these beings are predators capable of the horrors your birds had to endure. I won't go on about it here because right now getting Mr. Mom through this is the key thing.

Hurry to get Rescue Remedy, if you don't have it already. Health food store or good pharmacy will have it. A drop or two in roo's water each day for some days. It is known for its calming effect. If he is comforted by half sis, keep them together, warm and comfy. You'll have to get a better look at him to see if he has injuries needing treatment. Neosporin (without pain relief) on his surface wounds. If he has anything more subtantial he'll likely need oral or injectible antibiotic. Pain relief in the form of aspirin in water may be called for, depending upon his situation (not if there is internal or external bleeding of any significance). Try to cheer them up a bit with irresistable treats like black oil sunflower seeds or whatever else you've found to be enticing to them.

I hope Mr. Mom will be alright
fl.gif
Lots of TLC can make all the difference. I had a hen attacked by a neighbor's dog on 12/9 and almost lost her from shock. I held her for the first hour + after the attack to keep her from dying of shock - her head kept dropping, with eyes closed. I talked and talked and comforted her till finally she perked up a bit, then it was off to the bird hospital. She had to have surgery - the dog tore her open, but she is recovering. Her roo buddy, BJ, took exemplary care of her. Years back, he also suffered dog attacks, again from irresponsible people letting their dogs run loose. I thought I was going to lose him but nurtured him around the clock each time and he made it. In all cases, my birds were minding their own business in their house or run or yard, which they should have been able to do without paying with their lives. We all understand the risks posed by wild predators but the domestic ones are supposed to be in the control of their humans.

There is no way money can compensate for the pain and suffering your poor birds endured, but I hope you will be billing the dog's people for the maximum allowable. There was a time when I didn't do that - and absorbed all the costs myself - but then I realized this does not change the world for the better for our feathered friends. People need to learn that there are consequences for irresponsible behavior because then even if they don't learn, they'll tell the story to someone else who might think twice before being careless.

JJ

Last edited:
Yes...I suppose it's the fact that we "thought" we had fixed the runs/coops against predators. It kind of hits below-the-belt when you realize it's not quite what you thought.

Then again...I doubt a possum could knock through a wall. I'm just so glad that my neighbor took the initiative to call my dad when she heard the dogs around us going crazy. I mean...what if she would have just left for work and NOT called? I would not have any birds left.

Back
Top Bottom