I'm in Central Kansas. (Russell) I would like to purchase Pullets

grnidone

Songster
7 Years
Jul 9, 2016
Russell, Kansas
Of the 4 chicks I pulled from the bin marked "Pullets," I got 4 roos. (A friend of mine who likes math told me the odds of this happening are 1/160,000...maybe I should have purchased lottery tickets instead of chickens.)

After crying my eyes out, I gave my extra friendly, sweet Roos new homes and traded them for 3 new youngish chickens.

Those have turned out to be Roos as well.

I've been waiting for 8 months to get eggs, and all I'm getting are Roos! Are there ANY pullets in the entire state of Kansas? I'm beginning to doubt!

So, I would like to purchase 4 pullets.

Is there anyone in the central Kansas region that has some young pullets I can purchase? I'm thinking of buying some from this place: mcmurrayhatchery.com/ barred_rock_started_pullets.html but they are in Iowa, and I'd like not to traumatize the girls in the mail. If possible.

I'm in Russell, Kansas. Anyone close to me?

Contact your local poultry club. Try the county extension agent. Or ask at the feed store, who else has chickens. There are people like me who noticed a slight chill in the air this morning, took a head count and KNOW that I need to reduce the size of that flock come fall.

Mrs K

My issue with those threads is that they have 8,000 messages, and many are from several years ago. I don't understand why each state only gets a thread.

It's horribly inefficient to wade through 800 pages of posts, most of which are several years old to find the "new" stuff. Frankly, I don't have time in my life to do that, and I'm not going to.
he.gif

It seems to make much more sense that each region (say, for example, central states like Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Colorado) get an entire sub-forum called "central region" instead of just a thread. That way, if people want to trade chickens or just talk amongst ourselves so we can meet up and actually see each other in person, we can. You all sound like good people, and I'd love to meet you guys IRL.

So, thank you for doing the search for me, I do really appreciate it.
smile.png
But I'm not going to hunt through all that. And, I doubt anyone is paying attention to those old threads anyway.

That's why I posted here.

Please don't take offense. I think the forums here are really wonderful and have a lot of useful information. You've done a heck of a job putting all of this together and I really do appreciate it.

Last edited:
My issue with those threads is that they have 8,000 messages, and many are from several years ago. I don't understand why each state only gets a thread.

It's horribly inefficient to wade through 800 pages of posts, most of which are several years old to find the "new" stuff. Frankly, I don't have time in my life to do that, and I'm not going to.
he.gif

It seems to make much more sense that each region (say, for example, central states like Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Colorado) get an entire sub-forum called "central region" instead of just a thread. That way, if people want to trade chickens or just talk amongst ourselves so we can meet up and actually see each other in person, we can. You all sound like good people, and I'd love to meet you guys IRL.

So, thank you for doing the search for me, I do really appreciate it.
smile.png
But I'm not going to hunt through all that. And, I doubt anyone is paying attention to those old threads anyway.

That's why I posted here.

Please don't take offense. I think the forums here are really wonderful and have a lot of useful information. You've done a heck of a job putting all of this together and I really do appreciate it.
The way the state chat threads work is that they are ongoing and can be thousand of pages long, some are very active, some not so much...
..........look at the dates of the posts on the last pages on the threads to see how active they are.
When you make post in the thread it will go on the last page of the thread.
This Kansas thread was started in 2009 and the last post was made 2 hours ago.

Some very large states do have more than one chat thread, based on region...like Cali.

Quote:

Exactly. And there's no way to determine if this thread is what I want to read about because it is under the one title of "consolidated Kansas."

I also get notified of updates to the thread even if it has nothing to do with my post. So, I could put in a reply to the post and get notified of an update to the thread that may just be a continuing conversation about something else.

This results in a lot of chit chat and fluff that I have to wade through to see what I want to see: even if I start from the end and work forward. No to mention the fact that it fills my inbox with stuff that may not be applicable.

The whole process is inefficient and frustrating. (And probably the only thing on these forums that is...everything else works very well.)

I understand that each state having it's own sub-forum is ridiculous unless it is a hugely populated state like California or Texas. That's why I think you could have sub-forums for regions of states would work well for localized events or discussions.

Tell people to put their location of their meet up or trade or whatever in the subject line so everyone can see at a glance if this thread applies to them to make things easier for all.

Please consider this for a future update.

I don't have thread subscription updates sent to my email....you're right, it would be annoying as hell....I just visit the forum and look at my subscription list.
And yes, there's is a lot of chatter to wade thru on this forum, and not just on the state threads.
You can always unsubscribe to a thread once you're done looking for someone to buy birds from.

As annoying and inefficient as my suggestion to use the state thread might be,
it's way more efficient than posting a random thread in 'managing your flock',
and expecting someone from near your town who has POL pullets for sale to see it.

Or you could link this thread in a post in the state thread, then unsubscribe from the state thread.
Tell ya what, I'll do that for you........maybe someone will come over here and help you out in a more efficient way.

Thank you. The first thing I tried to do was to post in the "buy sell trade" but I was told I didn't have enough posts. I wasn't sure where to post it, so I chose something that seemed...sorta kinda a teeny bit close..
hmm.png

I was hoping someone would see it on the "new post" list or the "recent post activity" list. I rarely just go to read something in a particular forum. I go to the "recent post activity" list and look at different subjects.

Last edited:
Again - go local.

Call your county extension agent, they will know of local poultry clubs, go to the county fair, people and 4-H kids show their birds there, they may have something or will know someone who does. I have even seen chickens advertised on the local craigslist.

I never check the state thread, SD and Kansas are big states, and while in the state, can be 100's of miles apart.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom