I'm in over my head

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by burdboy, Feb 18, 2017.

1. burdboy

burdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    Currently I have two chicks almost ready to go outside, I'm getting 6 more on Monday, and I have 2 broody hens on 6 eggs apiece. The problem is I only have 2 coops, my main one and my extra, I use the extra as a growout but I have the Brodies going out there as soon as the chicks hatch, so that'd be 2 pullets, 6 growouts, two Moma hens and all the babies they hatch in one coop. What do I do?

2. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    I got caught in a similar situation. We took hardware cloth and stapled it to our poop boards ( hope you have those ), that created a extra room for very small chicks and allowed everyone to get used to each other.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Is there anyway to seperate the coop area?
    And how close are the broody hens to hatching their chicks?
    Is it possible they could accept the 6 new ones your getting? And raise them up for you?

4. mizjones

mizjones Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2016
    South Carolina
    Burd I have some questions for you. Did you mean "brodies" or "broodies"? Also, your second "grow out" coop, I assume that's for the transitional sized birds that are not quite adults? Lastly, you have 2 coops. Your main coop, how big is it?

My first thought would be to make some kind of little wall or separator inside the larger coop. [​IMG]
    This is fancy but the idea is the same: a wall of chicken wire to separate younger chicks from the adults. Am I following you correctly?

5. burdboy

Apr 19, 2016
    My coops not that large, and the chicks are due for mid march

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Unless your two broodies have raised chicks together in the past, I would advise that you separate them. They have been known to kill chicks that are not theirs.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with CTKen also if their chicks got mixed up, they would have fights trying to get theirs back & sometimes chicks get maimed or killed doing so. If you have to, you'll have to move them to your bathroom or somewhere in the house. It's not a life sentence. Baby chicks grow fast. That's what others do.

1 person likes this.
  8. burdboy

Apr 19, 2016
    This is there first time going Brody, when I got them I hoped they'd be a pair of momas, there both black Cochin bantams, hoesephina and joesephina.

9. Eps32

Eps32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2015
    North Carolina
    Just get some hard ware cloth and make a corner in your biggest coop for the chicks they will get to know everyone and be same from attack my main suggestion would be build another small brooder coop

10. burdboy

Apr 19, 2016
    My large coop has Farley large holes in the walls I'd be worried a baby would get ou

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by