I'm Interested in Khaki Campbell Ducks

Well your girls could start to act weird, lots of all female flocks will think of their owner as the drake which can be kinda creepy. The girls will probably mount each other. Having a drake doesn't mean you get ducklings it just means that your eggs are fertilized, selling these eggs can help offset feed costs as they are more expensive than plain old eggs. As long as your ducks are good healthy breed standard birds then I would consider having a drake around. Also khaki's aren't know to go broody (although they can) and ducks are easily broken up so if you don't want ducklings then you don't have to have them. If you collect eggs daily then the ducks will be less inclined to brood.

Ducks are fun! No matter if you have an all drake flush or an all girl flush they will be a super fun pet.
i did hear about that and i might consider a drake but I'm going to do more research before i decide on a drake. if i get one I'll probably just make sure to collet the eggs daily (which is what i was planning on already) unless i decide on ducklings. thank you so much for the info!

We don't have khakis yet (we have some coming in June). That said, we did have a drake and 6 female pekins. We collected eggs daily, and never had any ducklings (our girls were not very broody either). Also we lost some to a predator last fall, and our flock has been 3 girls through the winter. We haven't had trouble either way, buy we do have one female now who will try and mount the others. Don't know if that helps. Good luck with your new adventure! 😊
thank you! I'm sorry for your loss! i think I'll consider a drake and just collet the eggs daily it sounds like a better plan to me but im not sure yet

hello! so I'm thinking about getting ducks but I'm not sure if this will happen so I've been doing some research and I'm liking Khaki Campbells. I think they are great and the only downside I'm really seeing is that there a bit shy. Is it ok to keep a female only flock? I don't wish for my ducks to mate as I don't want ducklings. Also other information on Khaki Campbells would be appricated!
I bought a book called CAMPBELL DUCKS AS PETS off of amazon, it is the "owners manual" for KC. My KC is very personable. I love her and she stays very close. She is a little skittish sometimes but for the most part, she is fine. She will hog the blanket if I lay down on it to join her in the yard, she almost refuses to go in the water unless I go, unless its in her pool. She follows me everywhere and protests if I disappear behind a door and she cannot go. I think she is the most wondeful duck on the planet.

Last edited:
We've received a flood of reports on this thread and have closed it while our team reviews and takes action (removing posts, warning people that are breaking our rules, etc.) where needed.

While this thread is locked, it will give everyone an opportunity to read this:

We need peeps to do 2 things for us to keep it open:
  1. Try to have thick-skins. If you don't like something, try your best to just move past it.
  2. Only post things that are helpful, friendly, and appropriate. If you break our rules, you may get blocked from this thread, or even blocked from accessing BYC.

A Reminder Of Our Rules:

We require all our members to remain civil, friendly, and respectful in ALL their public interactions. If we notice you are breaking this rule (to which you agreed when signing up for BYC), we'll need to issue a warning and even potentially remove your access to our community.

Also, a reminder on best-practices:
  1. Again, if you see something that bothers you, try to have a thick skin and move past it. Definitely don't quote it and/or reply.
  2. If a post breaks our rules, report it. Definitely don't quote it and/or reply.
  3. Be friendly and supportive. Avoid posts, etc., that will cause contention. Our team will determine, at our discretion, what we feel is and isn't appropriate, so it's best to err on the side of caution and stay away from anything that might be interpreted as contentious, trolling, or otherwise breaking our rules.
Our AMAZING team is putting in a LOT of time and effort to keep things running smoothly. Please help make their jobs easier! (because at some point, the amount of work to keep this open won't be worth the time / stress to our incredible moderators).

Thanks again to all those that follow our rules and play nice!

Back
Top Bottom