Im just devastated

Hey there,

A really easy solution is a motion sensor high pressure sprinkler. If you hook it to a 55 gallon drum of water and white vinegar, then secure it on the roof of your coop, anything that comes near will get it - and get it good. the water may not bother them after a while, but the vinegar will for sure. They usually just come on real strong and blast for 4 seconds and it covers a pretty wide area, of you could have several. They are not expensive and the entire process is actually pretty entertaining.
big_smile.png

Runamuck! That's why there is the third S in SSS. LOL. Shoot, Shovel, and Shutup.

I understand what he was saying about them being able to sue you, it is pretty silly though. Here(NC) you are allowed to shoot anything after your lifestock. Don't you stop going in your front-yard, the dog is there problem not yours. If the dog EVER goes after you and attacks you or your children, that is a lawsuit far more severe than one on killing a breeding-dog and you let them know that you WILL sue if that dog grabs anything human on YOUR property.

Since your neighbors won't take control of their animal. Catch it, if you can and call animal control ASAP and say you have a dangerous animal penned up. If that doesn't work, hate to say it, shoot it(it's obviously a hazard to YOU and your family, nevertheless your poultry) and take the body(collarless, get rid of any evidence) to your local animal pit. (We have a local landfill that has a hole specifically for animal carcasses.)

LOL. Sorry for the rant. It's just that this situation sounds extremely dangerous and ridiculous for you and your family. I don't mind people having dogs that will harm other animals, but dogs that the owners acknowledge(!) "will come straight for you" do not have a place in society. People come first, such dogs can be rehabilitated by experts, but not with their current owners. It's just an accident waiting to happen and it's the humans I have in mind, not your animals. Ranting again, I'll stop..

-Kim

Hey Shawna, I dont mind sharing!! You didnt hyjack my topic. Its a discussion! I dont really understand what the sherrif said about the dog and you getting sued. Its your property. You should be able to protect it. I bet if you asked him if the dog were attacking you if you could legally shoot it he would say yes. Or if he were attacking a neighborhood child or something. He is a danger and animal control should be brought in on this. You should have the right to protect property and yourself!! I wouldnt worry about getting sued except for the fact they obviously only care about the dog even over their own children. I have never understood why peopld would keep a dog like that. My own parents had a dog that big my daughter in the face when she was 2 years old. The dog bit other people. I held a grudge for a long time. They actually took the dogs side. They said it was my daughters fault because she touched him!! She barely touched him but he didnt like her. I was standing right there it happened so fast I couldnt stop it. I expected them to do something and they didnt. They just put him outside. He eventually even bit my mother in the face. Its just unbelievable. Anyway Shawna I wish you luck.

As for me and my dog situation I have had alot of ideas. My chicken coop will be like a prison before Im done. Nobody is getting out or in!!! Im new at this and just learned a hard lesson. I think with the dog it will work out for the best. He is a sweet dog and great with the kids. My 7 year old niece is getting him. He will be in a fenced yard but in the country. Im sure he can chase field mice or something. I will still see him and know he is ok. And I wont have to worry as much about my chickens. I knew if I chose to start over I couldnt trust the dog. Im not good at the training part. I knew I could try but how would I know I was successful. I would worry about them and I cant watch them 24/7. I have a job and kids in sports. I want to know I will come home to my chickens ok and my dogs behaving!! I know there is always risk of another dog getting in there but thats why I hope to have it built up like a fortress!!!! Thanks for the well wishes and sympathy. Only people who raise chickens can understand the heartbreak. Neighbors cant understand if they dont care about chickens. It was a hard learning experience. We will make a comeback though.
clap.gif

Another thing Shawna is a "one way trip" if you know what I mean!!
wink.png
Then deny deny deny!! Im sure there are other people that would do it or wish they could do something in your neighborhood.

Run a muck, I think the cops were giving you a line. You can find out what the laws are on your own. I have had cops and animal control out right lie to me and threaten to arrest me for calling in complaints. I went over their heads because I knew what they were saying wasn't right.

Yes, a person has a right to sue over anything. Doesn't mean they have a case. You have a record of this dog attacking you so it you were to shoot it, you are protecting yourself. As for expecting to lose livestock, yes, you do expect to lose some to preditors such as raccoon, possums, or hawks; not dogs. Most areas do have laws that the owner of a dog that kills your livestock is liable for your loss.

Don't let them scare you into not protecting yourself and your animals. I do suggest employing sss though. Sounds like the neighbor might be the type to retaliate.

Good luck

Document, Document, Document! IF you are having a problem with dogs or cats, keep a journal of each incident, take photos. Keep track of witnesses that also see it. Take pictures of footprints near the coop. Keep a camera with a video feature handy. If you have someone in the house, tell them to video you as you are trying to rescue your birds. Any judge presented with documentation off this type would have to side with you.

Oh please understand the whole law suit thing doesn't scare me in the least....
I have no problem with shooting that dog.
The owners know it too.
The sheriff had let me know that there is a possibility of them sueing me, I let the cop know it doesn't bother me. As for going in my OWN front yard...After there lovley phone call I spent the rest of the day out there, knowing the dog was going crazy in the house.
These people have been warned, fined, and contacted about the dog...
They are thick headed. I don't want to stero type anyone so please noone take offense to this, but they are the typical trailor trash that lives all around here. They are dirty, stinky, house looks like crap, dogs are MEAN, and kids don't listen. Again, please no one take offense to what I wrote, it's just the basic no gooders image they protray that I am trying to get accross. I know they will never breed the dog. They aren't smart enough to have the common sense to get the dog fixed either. I have nothing againist any particular breed, but this is a breed blooded pit bull. Now I have seen pits be the biggest babies, and yet a weiner dog be so mean that you would think it was possed. I don't just dogs on breed alone. But this dog is the exception. After the first time they had to quarrientine the dog and have it go through a series of rabie shots. The vet bill has yet to be paid. The second time all was issued was a fine.
I offered someone advise on a different forum one time about using left over paint to throw on the dogs when and if they come on your property and the owners turned a blind eye thinking they're precious pouch never leaves the yard. Sadly these neighbors know there dog left and even seen him attack the 2nd time. BUT Still they do nothing.

Original poster...I hope you dog is able to live a wonderful life where ever it ends up. I know not all dogs are bad. I do understand that dogs tend to enjoy the so called 'chase'. I just have no tolerence for dogs that have caused harm in one way or another.
I had to put one of our dogs down a few years ago. When he was a puppy some how he got into strick9 poisoning. went into convulsions for 3 days. The vet gave him a 25% chance of being normal from that time one. Well he lived about a year after that. Was a wonderful dog, until one day something just snapped in his head. He was fine in the morning and that after noon when I came home you could see something in his eyes that wasn't right. He went over to the neighbors (different ones who don't live there anymore). And scared them to death. Sat barking at there door and would growl when anyone tried to get him to leave. I took him to the vet (knowing the previous strick9 event). I had them put him down and do test. They found a tumor on his brain that they assumed started to grow from the convulsions. And it was pressing on the area in the brain that effected his hormones.
It was the hardest thing I had to do...putting him down. But I didn't trust him around my children, the animals, or even myself. Even though I was the one who feed him and took care of him. It was horrible I cried all the way to the vet and back. Favre road to the vet on my lap, licking my face..I know really stupid seeings how I was taking him to be put down because of him flipping like he did. I think my emotions were running on over load that day.
The vet actually said it was the best thing I could of done for the dog. He could of been trying to console me I don't know, but I actually felt a little relief after the fact, knowing he couldn't hurt anyone. I know it would be hard if I had to do that again, but if it's for the best I would do it.

Wasnt there a law passed that people with pits were held responsible for thier dogs behavior? I just thought I remember something like that in the news. It may have just been in Tx though. I cant remember.

Denece&Lacey :

Wasnt there a law passed that people with pits were held responsible for thier dogs behavior? I just thought I remember something like that in the news. It may have just been in Tx though. I cant remember.

I remember hearing something about that, but not sure when or where..
I know around here almost no insurance company (house) will carry you if you have a pit, or rott. Even german shepards are becoming questionable.
some dog owners have to hurt it for others...

My girlfriends parents used to raise rotts. There insurance company found out and dropped them. About 6 months later they lost there house to a fire and had no insurance and were out everything.

Later found out they were also dealing drugs out of the house and it was set on fire by a p.oed junky.
(this was after the kids were older and out of the house).​

Back
Top Bottom