I'm looking for ideas on feeders. homemade or not. pics please

diane3003

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2015
I'm thinking of making a hanging feeder to keep some food off the ground. I'm looking for ideas & it doesn't necessarily have to hang. Thanks.

hi I just have a piece of string suspended from the top of the run with a hook attached I then hook the feeder onto the string that way they don't knock it over you can also string it to the ground and be really careful that way they wont knock it over

It doesn't bother them by feeder swaying? What type of feeder? I don't have a feeder yet I use pans on ground & spread a little over ground but have learned not such a good idea.

I like using gutter or pvc pipe cut in half lengthwise. In my tractor, I have the pvc halves attached to the sides of the pen, and can easily raise them as needed. You could easily make a wooden stand to attach it to. Or put a feeder up on some blocks so its raised up.

Just finished this last night. 2 sheets of 5/8" osb and some drywall screws. It's 36" long and 32.5" high - but the concept is really scale-able

11096685_10100467070025305_6349648235427687243_n.jpg

I use one of these:

I have mine mounted in a 5gal pail, 8 birds and it lasts 2weeks between fills. Originally I had a tray on the ground as shown in the video, but I found that they were getting the tray dirty with poop and soil. So I made another tray out of the bottom of another bucket and hung it blow the feeder so they couldn't walk on it. Now they can reach in and tap the trigger and clean the food off the tray without it getting dirty. the suspended tray also reduces the varmint problems with the feed on the ground.

Basically the trigger is just something that sits in the bucket and when they tap the trigger part the upper part in the bucket disturbs the food and causes some to fall out. I think you could do the same thing with a spoon, as they tap the handle of the spoon the bowl of the spoon moves some food in the bucket and some falls out.

Back
Top Bottom