I'm new and have a few questions

Tinkerchick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 26, 2007
Heber City, UT
I am new to this and I have 7 chicks that are about 3 weeks old. I have cought a couple of my chiks flying up and out of the box that they are in. I did get a larger box today but I was wondering when you clip their wings?
Also when do they usually start laying eggs? I have heard a year but my neighbor said her's did after 6 months.

hi tinkerchick, i don't know what kind of chicks you have but ours are black sex links and barred rocks. ours started laying after 5 or 6 months. we clipped there wings then, well one.

Hi Tinkerchic. I have 2 RIR's, a BR, and a buff orp. One of my reds just started laying a week ago and i suspect that the other red and the barred rock will start this week by the way they are acting. all 4 are right at 19 wks or so. Ive also read where they should start laying anywhere from 18 - 22 wks depending on the breed.

As for clipping the wings, i have never clipped theirs. I thought i was going to have to when they were little but i think as they got older and heavier there isn't a need to as they only get about 2 ft in height and about 5 ft in distance.

Forrest

I had 2 Auracaunas that flew out of the run before it was covered. I clipped their wings (over a year ago). They still flew out, their feathers have not regrown yet...and they look terrible. Wish I'd never done it. Just cover the box with chicken wire or mesh of some kind.

Thanks for all your input.
I have 3 Bantams, 2 Auracaunas, and 2 oringtons. Jus one Bantam and one Auracauna have been flying out of the box. I did get a taller box today but I think I'll cover it in a week if they keep doing it.
I think you talked me out of clipping their wings though. I'll wait and see.
Thank you.

Tink

I tried clipping wings on some of my older guys and IMO it doesn't work. I tried both clipping a single wing (is supposed to throw them off balance so they can't fly) and tired clipping both wings. They still just go over the fence, which is about 4 4 1/2 feet, like I had never done it... and like chickonaroost said...they look terrible and I really wish I hadn't. Use chicken wire, less stressful for everyone.

Thanks for the advise. I'm in the middle of building our coop so I think we'll just cover the top of the yard part with chicken wire.
Tink

Tinkerchick, I put a baby gate over the top of my brooder box.
We have also used a piece of small opening wire to fold over the top. That way the light gets in and lots of air and they can't jump out I wouldn't be clipping any wings at this early age.

Back
Top Bottom