I'm new and looking for all the good advice in how to from step one

Countryheart

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 31, 2012
Hi all! I've dreamt of doing a backyard coop for years but have only recently been able to really start the project. Any and all advice for a Virginia back yard coop would be great and appreciated. I've researched coops and drooled over all the pretty ones. I like the tractor type and making it light weight for mobility/cleaning. I also like the ones that you walk into that are fully functional and decorative but in the long run I want would be efficient/economical/safe/easy to keep clean and also the fertilizer what can it be used for that won't create weeds in your garden.
Countryheart

Greetings from Kansas, Countryheart, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our coop! I take it you have checked out the coops section of BYC? Lots of great ideas and advice there! Best of luck to you and Happy New Year!

well if you have high winds with some trackter coops thay will learn to fly and don`t mean in a good way thay are good for city or for a summer home for them if u keep cost down an not cut back on right feed meds then you can get fancy see thay don`t keep up with the jones lol read all you can an ask here anytime you run in to something then you will do all right

welcome-byc.gif
, from another fellow Virginian!
frow.gif

I scoured the ideas in the coop section to get ideas before deciding on my own plans. If you're looking for a coop that will accommodate a good fertilizer source, I highly recommend you look up the "deep litter method" to incorporate in whatever coop you end up building.
big_smile.png
Have fun brainstorming ideas!

WOW! What great welcomes! I've been reading all the different coop plans and builds. I didn't think of the coop blowing away but definitely glad that was pointed out about tractor coops. I'm rethinking the type of coop because I've what I've been reading. I love to research things and finding how folks utilized free / recycled product to build and the coops turned out gorgeous and functional. I live in an area when the wind comes off the mountains it can steam roll over the land so a more permanent coop but larger so that you can walk in is becoming more the idea. I'll check out the area you've all suggested. I've also picked up Hobby Farms Chickens magazine. Keep the ideas coming please!!!!

Welcome! For ideas and advice on coops, tractors, etc, be sure to check out the coops section and the Coop and Run- Design, Construction, and Maintainance forum.

Back
Top Bottom