Im new at this and have a serious problem

chekalone

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 3, 2008
Ok so my i got my chickens from a friend of mine who moved out of town. I had a Bantom cochin and another chicken i didnt know what it was. I moved them just down the street to my house and left everything the same. Same house same food same life just new location. The chickens were always free range so i left them like that. well the chicken i dont really know about decided she wanted to stay in the woods and not her box and then she dissapeared. Now my bantom wont leave her box without my help and as soon as i go back inside she runs back in her box and stops eating. I dont know a lot about chickens but i know this is not normal for her, when i watched the chickens before they were always out running around. This might be a simple answer but i cant find any info, please help.

They sound stressed from the move. It may seem like a simple move to you, but chickens don't like change.

You should lock them up in their new home for at least a few days, up to a week. Then when they go outdoors, they are more suspicious of their surroundings and explore the area more slowly. They also return to their safe haven more readily.

It is not too late to do this.

When you put them somehwere new its best to keep them locked in their coop for a day or two then let them out. They are lost right now and even tho the coop and food ect is the same its a different yard and they need time to adjust to their new surroundings. Try some treats to get the one to come out of the woods like chicken scratch or even a slice of bread, scrambled eggs, watermelon,,, If you can't find the chicken in the woods chances are it went back to its old yard . Good luck with your new chickens
big_smile.png

Your bantam could be broody, which is hormonal & can come on any time....with her just keep doing what you are doing.....find the other one & like the others said lock her up for a bit.... Good Luck!

If i decide to get more chickens would she enjoy the company and if i do get more chickens would it be better to get baby chickens or full grown ones.

With just 1 I would most definitely get more.....I think you would be better off getting day
olds & putting them under her @ night - but that can be touch & go.....adding full grown ones you will have an adjustment period (You really should quarantine for at least a month before so you know they are not bringing in disease) to establish pecking order....

Thinking the best alternative is to get some fertilized eggs to put under her....you could go looking in the Buy Sell Trade forum although winter is drawing near and with 21 days to hatching + the time needed to feather out you may want to postpone that until spring of course that is assuming it is an unheated co-op & you have typical winters not mild (as in if you are in CA or FL you could go for it now...)

It would be best to get chickens around the same size as what you have otherwise if they are babies they will get picked on and if they are bigger they might pick on them. I suggest if you do get new birds to add to your flock that you quarentine them for 30 days to make sure they don't bring in a bad illness to the others. Slowly introduce them to the girls once the quarentine period is over so they can get used to each other and establishing a nnew pecking order wont be so rough. Good luck! Ohh by the way did you find the other hen in the woods?

Back
Top Bottom