I'm new here :)

mstrickland96

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2016
Hey everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself, and start off with a question :) I am a homeschooling, city mama who recently moved to an acre and we started our adventure of chicken parenting. We had a flock of 12 killed by a mink around 5 months old, and our new flock of 16 is a year old TODAY! Recently our hens have had big bald spots on their backs... Does anyone know what could be causing this? We have one rooster with all of our hens. One of them just hatched chicks about 2 weeks ago and she is one of the healthiest looking ones right now! We are getting about 12-14 eggs a day so I think they are healthy. I just don't know what's up with the looks!

It could be rooster damage, from being overbred but, it sounds like you have enough hens for 1 roo. Have you checked well for mites/lice, etc?

Do you birds seem to be feather plucking each other? You may want to get them "hen aprons," or saddles, whichever they call them. It covers the back to shields them from rooster damage, and also helps encourage feather to regrow.

:frow Hi, and welcome to BYC!

Are they all bare backed or just a few? Roosters sometimes choose favorite hens and will over mate them

Back
Top Bottom