I'm new here...

ChickenQuilt

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2019
Hi; new to chickens, but not new to chicken stories. My great grandparents raised them for food in CO, OK, AR and then CA where they ended up in the 1930's. I grew up in Los Angeles, married an Army soldier and now live in Louisiana (that other 'LA'). It was a job-transfer move for my husband. I agreed to move because I wanted to have rural yard space to try my hand at raising chickens. Friends in my autism/aspergers family group told me "Buff Orpingtons." So I now have Nine 9-wk old hens; they arrived the 1st of Aug, just days old. My own offspring (with autism) are enjoying the chicken antics (they chase our cats, who dash away in evasive moves). My dog herds them, but makes them scatter. We bought a commercially available plastic coop/run on wheels. I love watching them get the bugs (we have love bug season and they love to snack on them). and have planted snacking herbs and veggies for them. Never a dull day anymore.

smfarman

Crowing
Jun 16, 2016
North of Tampa, FL
Hi; new to chickens, but not new to chicken stories. My great grandparents raised them for food in CO, OK, AR and then CA where they ended up in the 1930's. I grew up in Los Angeles, married an Army soldier and now live in Louisiana (that other 'LA'). It was a job-transfer move for my husband. I agreed to move because I wanted to have rural yard space to try my hand at raising chickens. Friends in my autism/aspergers family group told me "Buff Orpingtons." So I now have Nine 9-wk old hens; they arrived the 1st of Aug, just days old. My own offspring (with autism) are enjoying the chicken antics (they chase our cats, who dash away in evasive moves). My dog herds them, but makes them scatter. We bought a commercially available plastic coop/run on wheels. I love watching them get the bugs (we have love bug season and they love to snack on them). and have planted snacking herbs and veggies for them. Never a dull day anymore.
Welcome to BYC, glad you joined. There are a lot of great people here that know a lot about raising chickens and will help out when asked
I enjoy spending hours watching my girls, too.

BullChick

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Coffee shop in zone 5
99B26187-A1E7-41B9-AA0A-9E38E5F3EC07.jpeg

Top Bottom