I'm new to Silkies- At what age do they want to set?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MyraNC, Dec 2, 2008.

1. MyraNC

MyraNC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Central North Carolina
    My fuzzy little friends are about 3 weeks old and I am looking forward to them laying me some eggs. Can someone tell me at what age they start to lay and when they usually want to set?

2. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    My Partridge started laying at 5-6 months and laid almost daily until she went broody and now she hasn't laid since. But we had an attack not long after I took her babies so it could be stress related why she hasn't laid.

3. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have 3 6 month old who havent began to lay yet. This could be because of the change in season or they just may not be ready. So each bird it different but a good laying age is around 8 months old and silkies are very broody. So they will set anytime their little minds kick in to broody mode.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    My first broody silkie was 7 months old, and she was a GREAT mama. She's been broody 3 times in 6 months.

5. NCchickenlady

NCchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    raleigh
    Quote:Mine started at about 6 months.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've had most start to lay between 5-8 months old, and some set at 8 months, and some set at 18+ months.. and a few who could care less about setting believe it or not. And those weren't roosters!

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    My youngest set for the first time at 5 months - she did an excellent job hatching and mothering her chicks. Three other girls went broody for the first time between 7-8 months.

8. MyraNC

MyraNC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Central North Carolina
    Thanks Friends; I am so looking forward to next spring. I'm like a big kid when it comes to my chickens. Like when you can't wait to open that present. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by