1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm New & Would Like Some Advice, Please!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WalkerNom, Mar 15, 2017.

1. WalkerNom

WalkerNom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2017
    Delaware, USA
    Hey everyone! I'm Amber and I live in Delaware, USA. It's a rural area so I'm no stranger to farm animals and every where you turn there is a chicken house...but I've never really taken an interest in poultry until now.

It's all my grandmother's fault really. She kept talking about how she wanted to get some Indian Runner ducks and I followed in her footsteps lol. So here I am researching and trying to learn everything I can. I'm so glad I found BYC, the first thing I do when beginning to research for a new animal is look for a forum. I've already begun to read a few posts, they were so helpful and everyone seems so nice.

Me and my grandma would like to get a few runner ducklings as pets. I imagine they will be pretty spoiled as well. Not too many, about four (two for her and two for me). Though, I've heard they are addictive...Surprisingly enough there's not many people around that have ducks so we will most likely have to ship them here. Have you ordered ducklings online? From where? Anything I need to know about getting ducklings shipped to me?

Also, any beginner information you can give would be fantastic or even links to some posts I should have a look at, that would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Amber, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! Here are a couple useful links:
    The Learning Center is packed with useful information for the beginning chickener - the articles cover a vast range of chicken topics.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    And you can post questions in the Ducks Forum here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks
    And here is just some great info about ducks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index
    Finally, if you want to chat with some local poultry peeps, find your state thread here and say howdy:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best of luck with your chickens and ducks and thanks for joining BYC!!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Amber. Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.[​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Amber and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. redsoxs has given you some great links that i am sure will be helpful.
    Best wishes
    CT

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Amber [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received links to some great starting points, I will just wish you and your flock all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Amber, I hope you and your grandmother have a lot of fun with the ducks!

7. WalkerNom

WalkerNom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2017
    Delaware, USA
    @redsoxs - Thank you so much for the links, they will be very helpful!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! c: I'm feeling at home already.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to the forum! I am so glad you decided to join us today, and I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by