I'm not supposed to intervene until the very last minute, right?

SomeChickinTN

Songster
Nov 19, 2018
E TN
I've got a bunch of pips, but only one zipped this morning so far. It's been about 8 hrs since I noticed they pipped, so they probably did sometime before I woke up this morning. But none of the others has made any progress. I've been able to see the ones beak for the last 8 or so hours, but the hole is not getting any bigger....

The hole does not get bigger. The chick will start zipping from the pip or make a new pip and zip.

Do leave them alone at this point. They should start zipping within 24 hours of the pip

The hole does not get bigger. The chick will start zipping from the pip or make a new pip and zip.

Do leave them alone at this point. They should start zipping within 24 hours of the pip

Thank you. I didn't do anything. That one zipped out of nowhere, lol. Now waiting on a third to zip. And maybe a 4th

It happens during most hatches!

There is still hope though

Nope, the olive egger developed weird and didn't survive. One was apparently a late quitter, it was fine on day 14, but I just now candled it, and it was floaty and had a blood ring, and two were fully formed, but dead in the shell. One of those had started to pip, and today I decided to open the membrane where I could see it's beak was, and it was stiff.

I had two this morning with their beaks out, but unable to zip. Turns out they were shrink wrapped. I helped them out, and they are doing ok so far.

I would have had a 100% hatch rate, but I don't follow instructions. Lesson learned. Lockdown means don't open the incubator until they all hatch. Period. 😒😞
No...I had the incubator open a lot...mine were shipped eggs and some air cells were not where they were supposed to be - so in my case, I aided several chicks in getting out. All of them hatched. The humidity and temperature went pretty quickly back up and they were fine. Opening the incubator didn't kill your chicks. And my last one hatched on day 25...when I picked it up to throw it away, it cheeped at me.

Nice!

That is usually what happens. A lot of things happen between the pip and zip and it can go quit fast at the end

So, it's the end of day 21, and only 3 eggs have no pips. I'm going to leave them in awhile longer. One of the chicks has spraddle leg. I tried to fix it with a bandaid, but only made it harder for the poor chick. Now I can't get the bandaid off because it's one of the super sticky ones...

So, it's the end of day 21, and only 3 eggs have no pips. I'm going to leave them in awhile longer. One of the chicks has spraddle leg. I tried to fix it with a bandaid, but only made it harder for the poor chick. Now I can't get the bandaid off because it's one of the super sticky ones...
Try some goo gone.

I use the straw with a rubber band splint for spraddle leg

Back
Top Bottom