I'm not sure I'll ever free range again!

If you have a lot of predators I would use a chicken tractor. That way you have protection for them and the benefit of free ranging. Our backyard is 50x75 and with the playground, lawn chairs bushes, 6 foot fence, etc even when hawks/owls fly over they look but always have somewhere close to run. I agree with only letting big birds free range. Good Luck!

Dogs, cats, bobcats, coyotes, opossum, raccoons, rats, raptors, squirrels, snakes, gators and poor neighbors will all steal and eat your chickens and eggs and are a historical facet of chicken keeping heritage. They even end up on your own table from time to time and if none of that, weather and disease, egg binding and age will take it's toll . If you think caging them up will prevent loss you are deluding your self and dragging out your grief when their inevitable end happens. Much better to allow them some freedom and reap the benefits of a varied and natural diet in the form of healthy and tasty eggs, better feather color and general overall health of the flock. An occasional sacrifice to the gods is required and they will take it one way or another.

I lost my Serama rooster D-note to a coopers hawk who later took his sister Partridge through the wire mesh, with her sister Ptarmigan looking on. I was mortified and pulled Ptarmy inside for the winter but realized it was a crappy life being alone and her feather was showing it. It's funny (not really) that it was the two dark naturally colored birds that were lost,

I built a tractor and that is good when I can't supervise but the free range time she gets, the dancing, the dust baths, clover, grass tips, flax and worms and slugs have done her a world of good. Her new friends rooster Chainsaw and micro serama hen, Use-tice fertilize and brood her eggs for her and she runs the yard. I recently brought in two new kids for her to lord over and I am free ranging them with supervision too. They are all very wary of aerial assaults or strange noise or movement.

Sometimes it takes a loss to prevent a loss .
Naive chickens learn from experience and can teach newbies how to protect themselves.
That's the role of the dominant birds. Alert alarm and protect.

RIP D-note and Partridge.

I care for my chickens too much to keep them confined

I stand out there with them and supervise the free range. Right now our yard is infested with army worms! I keep the coop open and they knew what a hawk looked like. It was a small coopers hawk, but they ran into the run immediately.

This year they have all stuck together in a group. It's been a breeze so far free ranging with the hawks. It's way too hot to use a tractor. Plus my hubby would not be pleased to build it. We have very thick areas in our woods. The girls finally learned to utilize this area. Last year was a mess. None of my hens stuck together and were everywhere.

I'm not so worried about the hawks anymore.

Dogs, cats, bobcats, coyotes, opossum, raccoons, rats, raptors, squirrels, snakes, gators and poor neighbors will all steal and eat your chickens and eggs and are a historical facet of chicken keeping heritage.
Really, I have to worry about squirrels? They steal eggs? We have one that hangs around and eats seeds and bread after the chickens are done. I saw him playing with one of my hens before and letting her run after him. Should I worry about the squirrel?

not TOO likely, but it is possible. Squirrels will also eat baby birds and chicks if they are hungry. I've never had a problem with them, but I have heard of people who do.

Predators happen. They were there first and they just want something to eat (like the rest of us) after all.
idunno.gif

That's why we don't ever free range our birds unsupervised. If my DH or I can't be out in the yard with them, then they're in the run. Because if you think hawks are horrible, then you've not yet encountered a loose/stray dog; dogs won't stop at one.
rant.gif

We also have the neighbors dogs run at large all the time. My Aussie just attacked a dog that came into our yard. I bet my neighbor is ticked off because of it, but it happened in OUR yard in front of my house. I was able to get my dog off quickly. Ugh.

I see dogs too, but mine are always outside with me. They protect our house and property. They attack other dogs that step on our land.

Last edited:
Good thing you have a dog on your side, then! I sure hope its okay after the brawl with the neighbor's, too. Irresponsible dog owners and their uncared for pooches are, by far, the worst predators we have in our area.

I was considering free ranging my girls but will probably wait and make the run I have built for them a little larger. The above scenario is what I fret the most and I would hate to have to come home from work to a missing hen.

I have heard from a couple associates at work that the hens can see the hawks flying in the sky and they boot scoot it back to the run. Any truth to this?

My chickens see an airplane and make the "call" so everyone is on alert but they don't run and hide.

The last two days I've lightened up my attitude towards free ranging and they've been free to come and go as they please from sun up to sun down! I have 4 acres of land, which they use about 3. Not once have they left the property. Most of their time is spent hiding in the swampy woods, but that has consequences. They cut their feet on thorny bushes and trees and 5 out of 8 have bumble foot! I have 1/2 my girls feet wrapped and I soak for 10 minutes a day. I'm treating with penicillin 2 500mg capsules in their wet feed. It's the easiest way. I bought 6 rolls of vet wrap that I expect to see this week. I will mix 5 parts petroleum jelly with 1 part Boric acid for under their wrap.

Right now they are in their coop free to leave. They are taking a drink and dust bath. All eggs are laid in the nest boxes.

I'm able to bring out the new 3 out of the kennel while the big girls are outside.

My hens are getting really fat! I've never seen them so heavy before. It's got to be from all the army worms.

They run for cover every time a bird flies over them. I'm amazed how well this is going!

Back
Top Bottom