1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm not sure what this around vent area

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Buff25, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Buff25

Buff25 New Egg

Feb 7, 2009
    Texas
    We have 6 day old Buff Orpingtons. This evening I was cleaning the vent area due to it being caked. I noticed on at least three of them a very large scab. It first looked like a tick. It's right next to the vent going toward the breast. Is there anyone out there who knows what this might be?
    Thanks!!!

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    are the chicks picking at each others vent area? Or do they have mites?

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Could be the naval?

4. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    6 days old? Maybe picking by the other chicks. Or is it the area where the yolk sac was attached to them? That is in that general area. Can you get a pic?

5. Buff25

Buff25 New Egg

Feb 7, 2009
    Texas
    We actually thought it might be the naval. Does that area swell? It's very dry and hard. Does it eventually fall off, or do we need to do something to help them out? I'll try to get a photo. They are not picking each other, but they are picking at themselves. How do I know if they have mites? We have been handeling them for two days now and I have not noticed any.

6. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Sounds like the navel to me.

7. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    If it's the navel, don't try to pick it off!

8. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Yep, I thought the same thing. If they all have in the same spot, that sure tell you.

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    It's the navel. Some will have a bigger spot than others.

10. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Relax and let things go as they may. Sometimes we have a tendency to try and do too much for our birds. Picking off the poo is okay. Try putting some dirt with the chicks, this will help. Remember, your birds are resilient.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by